Ratisbon's - Top
Display your banner here

Help with a Mokuju

Article about: Hello Everyone, I have been interested in purchasing a wooden fencing rifle for some time, but have not pulled the trigger on any for lack of knowledge about the piece. I know that these wer

?

Default Help with a Mokuju

Hello Everyone,
    I have been interested in purchasing a wooden fencing rifle for some time, but have not pulled the trigger on any for lack of knowledge about the piece. I know that these were used post war for civilian recreation. My question is, how does one tell a war time piece from a post war one. One that I’m currently looking at has characters engraved on the butt stock. Google translate doesn’t seem to help, so I’ll post it here. I hope some of the more knowledgeable members can enlighten me on what to look for and what these characters say. I look forward to hearing everyone’s comments and opinions.
    Thank you in advance,
    Vic
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Help with a Mokuju  

Unless there is a date somewhere it is impossible to tell if a mokuju is wartime because they are of the same shape; however, I'm guessing post-war since it is individualized with the former owner's name:

大塚頌仁
    Ōtsuka Nobuhito

-- Guy

?

Guy, thank you for the translation. Since that's an individual's name, I would definitely agree this is not military. That also explains why google translate didn't work. I appreciate the help.
    Thanks
    Vic