Great Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

Help with a Naval Dirk

Article about: Hello Everyone, I could use some help with a naval dirk that is being offered to me, as I’m not that knowledgeable about Japanese blades. It looks legitimate, but it’s being offered with

?

Default Help with a Naval Dirk

Hello Everyone,
    I could use some help with a naval dirk that is being offered to me, as I’m not that knowledgeable about Japanese blades. It looks legitimate, but it’s being offered with two other blades that look very questionable to me. Any help and opinions would be greatly appreciated. Also what is the going rate for a dirk these days?
    Thanks in advance Help with a Naval DirkHelp with a Naval DirkHelp with a Naval DirkHelp with a Naval Dirk Vic

Hi Vic!
    I'm not a dirk expert, but it appears to be accurate compared to examples on Ohmura's site: 甲種三笠短剣・秀明、天照山作、短 七種 Mikasa, Tenshōozan & Seven sorts of dirks
    I'm bothered a little by the coloration of the metal parts. They should be gold gilded brass. If this one is legit, it has gone through something that has affected the color or finish. How does the blade look?

?

Hi Bruce, thanks for responding. I don’t have pictures of the blade yet, but will be seeing it next Friday. As soon as I see it, I’ll post some photos. I can’t tell if the fittings have some sort of silver wash, or that’s residue from a poor polishing job. Hopefully I’ll know more on Friday