Griffin Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

Help with a tang signature

Article about: Have seen a sword for sale locally and it has a signed tang. I do not know much about swords really, they seem to be a minefield to me unless you build up loads of knowledge. There is someth

Default Help with a tang signature

Have seen a sword for sale locally and it has a signed tang. I do not know much about swords really, they seem to be a minefield to me unless you build up loads of knowledge. There is something that I feel is wrong. I have attached a shot of the tang, which does not seem very rusty, and what is that big stamped mark - not seen similar before?
    Cheers,
    Tony

大澤兼久作
    Ōsawa Kanehisa saku
    Made by Ōsawa Kanehisa

Hot stamp:
    兼久
    Kanehisa

He received his swordsmithing license:
    兼久 大沢勘一 S14.10.26
    Art name: Kanehisa
    Licensed: Showa 14 [1939], October 26

From Marcus Sesko's book, Japanese Swordsmiths:

KANEHISA (兼久), Shōwa (昭和, 1926-1989), Gifu – “Kanehisa” (兼久), real name Ōsawa Kan´ichi (大沢勘一), born January 2nd 1915, student of Kojima Kanemichi (小島兼道), he worked as a guntō smith and died July 7th 1945, ryōkō no retsu (Akihide)

Akihide's rankings.
    Kurihara Akihide (栗原昭秀) in 1942 under the title Seidai Tōshō Iretsu Ichiran (聖代刀匠位列一覧). He introduced seven ranks:
    • shinpin no retsu (神品の列) Supreme masterworks
    • kihin-jōi (貴品上位) Superior precious works
    • kihin no retsu (貴品の列) Precious works
    • jōko no jōi (上工の上位) Superior master
    • jōkō no retsu (上工の列) Master
    • ryōkō no jōi (良工の上位) Superior skilled artisan
    • ryōkō no retsu (良工の列) Skilled artisan

Thanks Guy. So it is a genuine war-time sword then. Does this indicate a traditionally made example?
    Cheers,
    Tony

Don't have a good picture of the blade (the most important part), but what about the 'twine' covered scabbard?
    Cheers,
    Tony

Probably not "traditionally made." Bruce and others who are learnéd in this category can give you a better answer. The twine was probably done by a GI.

-- Guy

Can't say more than Guy already has. Legit, WWII Type 98 officer sword. The stamp at the end is called a hotstamp, or kao. Several smiths had a logo of sorts and marked their work with a personal stamp. If there are no other stamps at the top of the nakago, near the habaki (copper collar before the blade), the blade may very well be traditionally made.

There have been many discussions about the twine or cord wrapping. Most guys feel it was done by troops on ship passing the time as they headed home.

Have now got hold of some pictures of the blade. Looks somewhat scratched, with a strange gouge near the tip.
    Cheers,
    Tony
    Help with a tang signatureHelp with a tang signature