Military Antiques Stockholm - Top
Display your banner here

Help with translation

Article about: Hello All, I was hoping to get some help with a translation on a Naval Belt. I am curious if the numbers on the flap indicate a possible officers school, Ship # or if they would be an accoun

Default Help with translation

Hello All,
    I was hoping to get some help with a translation on a Naval Belt. I am curious if the numbers on the flap indicate a possible officers school, Ship # or if they would be an accountability # for an issue piece? I suspect the other characters may be a name of some type?

Any thoughts or comments appreciatedHelp with translation

You have to read right > left:

七十六

渡辺
    Watanabe [surname]

-- Guy

Thank you very much Guy is there any logical reason why there might be a a western type font beneath the Kanji? it looks like the number 76 is beneath the Kanji...

Quote by Geoff Ward View Post
    Thank you very much Guy is there any logical reason why there might be a a western type font beneath the Kanji? it looks like the number 76 is beneath the Kanji...
    That is my translation for 七十六 [76]. I also wrote "Watanabe" under the 渡辺 kanji.

-- Guy

Sorry Guy, I just misunderstood!

I always appreciate you!

?

Originally, it was written with Arabic numerals 76 and then it was overwritten with kanji characters 七十六. If you look at the name, you will see it was also overwritten. One can only guess; but, possibly it was faded and needed to be remarked.

Quote by Kiipu View Post
    Originally, it was written with Arabic numerals 76 and then it was overwritten with kanji characters 七十六. If you look at the name, you will see it was also overwritten. One can only guess; but, possibly it was faded and needed to be remarked.
    I didn't even notice the Arabic numbers!!! No wonder I had Geoff scratching his head. NOW I understand what he was saying.

Sheesh, Guy!

Help with translationHelp with translationHelp with translation

-- Guy

?

I was confused too as I initially thought it was 六十o七, like a decimal point between the ten and seven. When Geoff mentioned the Arabic 76, that is when I looked more closely and could see the overwriting. So, that makes two slapping the forehead!

Thanks for the clarification Guys My wife said to tell you " There is still something wrong with me"