Combat-relics.com - Top
Display your banner here

Help And Translation Request On Period Images

Article about: Hello all, any and all thoughts on the images are welcome. Does the kanji shed any light on who the IJA officer is? Thanks for looking. S

Default Help And Translation Request On Period Images

Hello all, any and all thoughts on the images are welcome. Does the kanji shed any light on who the IJA officer is? IJA ranks are not really my strong suit. I believe he is a Major General? Thanks for looking.
    S
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Help And Translation Request On Period Images   Help And Translation Request On Period Images  

Help And Translation Request On Period Images   Help And Translation Request On Period Images  

Help And Translation Request On Period Images   Help And Translation Request On Period Images  

?

Hiya Razorback, 2nd and 3rd down look like live poses from traditional Hina Dolls.

Hinamatsuri - Wikipedia

With your permission I would like to share them across to my Kimono collecting club, and see what the ladies have to say.

Sure thing Dave. Please let me know what they have to say. Thanks for your reply.
    S

Here's the general's profile. Google should be able to translate for you. Born 1884, died 1949

松村 正員 まつむら まさかず 福井 陸士17期 歩兵
    Matsumura, Masakazu 陸大28期

発令日 階級 その他身分 補職/任官
    昭 3(1928). 3.24     陸大教官
    昭 3(1928). 8.10 陸軍歩兵大佐    
    昭 5(1930). 8. 1     近歩1聯隊長
    昭 6(1931). 8. 1     軍務局徴募課長
    昭 8(1933). 8. 1 陸軍少将   歩19旅団長
    昭10(1935). 8. 1     第4師団司附
    昭12(1937). 2. 8     下関要塞司令官
    昭12(1937). 3. 1 陸軍中将    
    昭13(1938). 3. 1     待命
    昭13(1938). 3.25 予備役    

Found English version Biography of Lieutenant-General Masakazu Matsumura - (松村正員) - (まつむら まさかず) (1884 – ), Japan

Many thanks as always Nick!!

Next to the Golden Kite on his medal bar is the Military Cross he received from Great Britain in February 1920 as a Captain.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Help And Translation Request On Period Images  

Quote by nick komiya View Post
    Next to the Golden Kite on his medal bar is the Military Cross he received from Great Britain in February 1920 as a Captain.
    Those were not given out like Orders .... some sort of military heroism must be in play. Was he attached to an English unit during WWI? Wiki states: "The honorary MC awards were made to servicemen from fifteen Allied countries in World War I,..."

I couldn't find his name on the recipient list, so honorary awards must not have been included in the listings.

-- Guy

They required the Emperor's permission to receive honors from abroad and to wear them. He was among the 4 MC winners within a letter seeking permission for 28 men to receive various medals and orders from China, France, Belgium, UK, etc, which must, timing-wise, relate to the Siberian Intervention. What exactly got him the award is not explained. There were further 5 winners of the Distinguished Conduct Medal (DCM) following the MC winners I marked in a red square.

Guy, the listing you gave says on top

"This is a category listing, which serves as an index of existing Wikipedia articles about recipients of the Military Cross.
    It is not intended to be an exhaustive listing of all recipients."
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Help And Translation Request On Period Images   Help And Translation Request On Period Images  

?

I posted the two "Hina" pic's on I.G. and they are currently receiving lots of love and likes, but no solid feedback yet.

So, I guess it's on me to save the day, then. That is a historical reenactment of a famous 1336 event called the "Sakurai Farewell(桜井の別れ)" an iconic scene like the balcony scene from Romeo and Juliet. Masashige Kusunoki is bidding farewell to his 11 year old son, Masatsura and presenting to the child a precious heirloom of a Tantoh given him by the Emperor.

Here is Episode 36 from Taiheiki (Chronicle of Great Peace) featuring that scene at the 30-minute mark. The drama does not show him giving the son the sword, but at the 16 minute point you see him receiving the famous "Kikusui Sword" from the Emperor.

Also, at the 34 minute point in the drama is the appearance of an earlier version of the legendary Banner of Golden Brocade, emulating which the WW2 army standards were created.

Last edited by Nick Komiya; 03-11-2020 at 10:21 PM.