Militaria Romandie - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Hoping to shed some light on the history of this sword

Article about: I am hoping the paper tag on this sword will shed some light on its history, if any one can translate. The mei is Seki ju Fukuda Kanetake.saku. Many thanks in advance Warwick

Does it have a ghostly glow at midnight??

(^___^)

I was wondering about the extent if the fire since you mentioned it. I've marked 旭 Asahi in magenta, lower right:

Still ... could have been collateral fire damage.

-- Guy

Here's the Google map showing Asahi:

Quote by Warwick View Post
    I checked the address, to ground Zero, and its about 3.2k away, so this fits in with the heat damage but not fire damage.
    Although the address is Hiroshima, the actual sword maybe far away from the city at the time of nuclear bombing. The surrendering location can be any place where the Japanese army had fought.

My old apartment is just up the tram line top left in Guy's Google map picture - Takanobashi, 鷹野橋.
    Cheers,
    Tony

Quote by bestmsdt View Post
    My old apartment is just up the tram line top left in Guy's Google map picture - Takanobashi, 鷹野橋.
    Here's where Tony was:

Hi Tony,

What a small world!! What were you doing in Hiroshima?

The closest I ever got to Hiroshima was Kure where the US Army maintains four ammunition depots; I conducted Command Inspections for the commander of the 17th Area Support Group (Camp Zama) in 1992 and 93.

-- Guy

Interesting, Guy. I was teaching English in Hiroshima in 1985 at the Mazda motor plant. Went to Japan in 1982, and taught until 1987; Tokyo, then Hiroshima, then Osaka. Did a second stint from 1993 until 1996 in Osaka and Kobe. I was happy in Kobe, but was there in the earthquake in January 1995. Went to bed in one world, woke up in another. My apartment survived as it was on the rock slopes of Mount Rokko, North of the city, but most else was gone in the centre. Wandered the ruins for 5 days before I was able to get out as they opened the train line under Mount Rokko, so stayed with friends in Osaka. The school carried the Kobe staff for 3 months, then I was transferred to the Osaka branch. Never settled in that job, which lead to me leaving Japan in 1996. Such is life.

When I lived in Hiroshima, the US marines from Iwakuni occasionally showed up. A lively lot!

Cheers,
    Tony

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2