Militaria Romandie - Top
Display your banner here

IJA Field Cap

Article about: Finally saw a cap I couldn't let go! After my time on this forum and Nick's articles I have been a bit perplexed by these field caps. They are not cheap in Britain, and most of the ones I ha

Default IJA Field Cap

Finally saw a cap I couldn't let go! After my time on this forum and Nick's articles I have been a bit perplexed by these field caps. They are not cheap in Britain, and most of the ones I have looked at haven't had the military issue boxes despite the price being asked. Are some examples reservist or civilian items? Or indeed Post-War? They often have the Chrysanthemum gold buttons on the chin strap.
    I am pretty confident about this one though. Named and dated 1941.
    Cheers,
    Tony
    IJA Field CapIJA Field CapIJA Field CapIJA Field CapIJA Field CapIJA Field Cap

Cap is named to
    outside stitching, reading from right to left:
    イ フジムラ
    I [イ] Fujimura
    The イ is possibly some sort of designator. Inside on the label:

藤村正治
    Fujimura Shoji

?

Nice cap.
    As far as the depot stamp inside, issued caps should have them, but that doesn't mean a cap without one is automatically no good. Japanese officers were not issued their uniforms, they had to buy all their kit themselves, so an officer's cap would not have a military depot stamp. I imagine some NCOs and maybe even some better off enlisted men bought private purchase uniforms as well.

Thanks Guy, let's hope that Fujimurasan made it back home.
    Cheers,
    Tony

Hi Ryoyo,
    Thanks. Was also told yesterday that some of the last military issue caps had no liners and so no stamps. Bit of a minefield.
    Cheers,
    Tony

?

Quote by bestmsdt View Post
    Hi Ryoyo,
    Thanks. Was also told yesterday that some of the last military issue caps had no liners and so no stamps. Bit of a minefield.
    Cheers,
    Tony
    But be aware of military-looking work clothes, school uniforms, and civil defense kit being passed off (intentionally or ignorantly) as "late war" military. Need to do your research for things like that.

?

Really nice example of a well used cap!

I love caps with the stitched katakana on the outside!

Regards

Russ