Marna Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

IJA M98 or Type 3 Uniform

Article about: Hello, I had recently posted an IJA Officer's Uniform for authentication. It is a private purchase uniform, and does not have the typical government issued ink stamps, so I cannot tell if it

Default IJA M98 or Type 3 Uniform

Hello,
    I had recently posted an IJA Officer's Uniform for authentication. It is a private purchase uniform, and does not have the typical government issued ink stamps, so I cannot tell if it is an M98 uniform or Type 3 since there is no stamp saying so. Can you please tell me which pattern it is, and what characteristics let you know what pattern it is? All of the information I have been reading doesn't go into details regarding the specific differences between the M98 and Type 3 other than materials used, and some obvious changes such a button type and pocket shape. It only has one inner pocket, which makes me believe it's a Type 3, but I am not sure. Thanks a lot for the information.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture IJA M98 or Type 3 Uniform   IJA M98 or Type 3 Uniform  

IJA M98 or Type 3 Uniform   IJA M98 or Type 3 Uniform  

IJA M98 or Type 3 Uniform   IJA M98 or Type 3 Uniform  

Your tunic is a Type 98 officers tunic, you will not find any ink stamps in private purchase tunics, there is a Type 2 tunic for warmer climates with an open collar. There are Type 98 and Type3 tunics for EM/NCOs that do have the inked depot stamp. Here is a photo of my Type 2.IJA M98 or Type 3 Uniform
    "Only a pimp in a Louisiana whore house carries a pearl handled revolver"
    - General George Smith Patton Jr.

So, I assume that the trousered are also for the M98? Also, what characteristics make it an M98 versus a Type 3?

Yes the trousers are T98, there are no Type 3 officers tunic that I know of, I could be wrong.

Bill

Thanks so much. Exactly what I needed.

You should go to the sticky at the beginning of this forum by the late Mr. Nick Komiya "Master Index For Reference Articles", scroll down to E. Uniforms. You should get most if not all your questions answered. I would send you the link but I'm an old computer illiterate fart that doesn't know how to, hope this helps.

Bill

I appreciate the advice. I attempted to read through that and was still confused afterwards. I really appreciate your help.

Quote by swatmaster68 View Post
    I appreciate the advice. I attempted to read through that and was still confused afterwards. I really appreciate your help.
    Try to learn how to read certain Japanese Kanji if you don't already know how, numbers ,depot marks,sizes ,dating system etc., it's not that hard and it will help you immensely!!!