Adlermilitaria - Top
Display your banner here

Interesting tsuba

Article about: A friend is letting me enjoy this tsuba. He thought I would enjoy seeing it due to cross . I know these are highly debated in the Stuba world, some say it’s a Christian cross, some say it

Default Interesting tsuba

A friend is letting me enjoy this tsuba. He thought I would enjoy seeing it due to cross . I know these are highly debated in the Stuba world, some say it’s a Christian cross, some say it’s not. It’s signed but I do not know what it says. I’m going to enjoy it until he wants it back.

Marty
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Interesting tsuba   Interesting tsuba  

Interesting tsuba  
    Fortune favors the brave 644th td

Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Interesting tsuba  

Very nice tsuba. Unfortunately I cannot figure out the name!!

-- Guy

Thank you Guy. Tsuba’s are pieces of art in my opinion and the craftsmanship in some is amazing.

I’m not sure of the time period or much about the meaning of the cross other than Christianity.

Thank you for trying to figure out the makers name

Quote by Tank Destroyer View Post
    ...I’m not sure of the time period or much about the meaning of the cross other than Christianity....
    Plausible deniability.

Foreign things ... introduced by the Portuguese in the 16th century, became popular; "pop-culture," if you will. The intricacies of the tea ceremony are said to have been introduced by Sen no Rikyu, a leading tea master in the 16th century, after he observed a Holy Mass. "...Three (some say five) of Rikyu’s seven disciples were devout Catholic converts. His wife was as well, and with her he attended a historic Mass celebrated in Kyoto, an experience that affected him deeply...." (source).

But after Christianity was outlawed in Japan, the "kakure kirishitan" [hidden Christians] adopted Buddhist images like Kanzeon/Kannon [Kwanyin] as the Madonna and other "hidden" symbols. Secret Christians and wiki.

Tsuba from early 17th century:
    Interesting tsuba

You can find a lot to read if you're interested. Just google "hidden Christians, japan" or "kakure kirishitan."

Cheers,
    -- Guy