Militaria Romandie - Top
Display your banner here

Japanese Army Bugle for review and Help

Article about: Hello I picked this Japanese bugle up from an estate sale. I believe it to be WW2 era. Do you agree. It is marked on the mouth piece and one of the tassels has kanji written on it (or stampe

Default Japanese Army Bugle for review and Help

Hello

I picked this Japanese bugle up from an estate sale. I believe it to be WW2 era. Do you agree. It is marked on the mouth piece and one of the tassels has kanji written on it (or stamped). Can anyone tell me what the Kanji says?
    Thank you.

What I know about bugles you can read here. Japanese Army Bugle and here, too.

日京 Nikkyo stamped on the mouthpiece is supposedly the manufacturer, but I cannot find any info on them.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Japanese Army Bugle for review and Help  
    Last edited by Nick Komiya; 05-02-2021 at 01:03 AM.

Thank you for the links. As far as I can tell this is a WW2 era bugle. Tassels are marked, and I believe it has three loops..

3 loops make it a Type 90 bugle, but it is likely postwar civilian as it lacks army markings. Bugles were class 2 weapons in the army like bayonet frogs and as such had to have acceptance markings, but your example has none of that.

Where would I look for an acceptance mark?
    Thank you

Acceptance and Arsenal ID stamps were generally placed side by side to the manufacturers stamp, but there is nothing besides the 日京 stamping on the mouthpiece of your bugle. One notable feature unique to army bugles used in Manchuria is a fiberglass mouthpiece. This was to prevent the lips from sticking to the mouthpiece in extreme cold.

Here's another example nicely marked with cherry blossom, yet just another commercial model.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Japanese Army Bugle for review and Help   Japanese Army Bugle for review and Help  

Thank you for the help

For your info, the chart here shows how buglers in various branches were armed with weapons.