Espenlaub Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

Japanese Badge Identification?

Article about: Hello. Can anyone assist with identification of what I believe is a Japanese badge of some kind? Hopefully I have the correct orientation of the writing on the back of the badge. Thank you!

?

Default Japanese Badge Identification?

Hello. Can anyone assist with identification of what I believe is a Japanese badge of some kind? Hopefully I have the correct orientation of the writing on the back of the badge. Thank you!

體力章
    Physical fitness award. Modern Japanese: 体力

Reverse:
    體体章 Physical fitness award
    皇紀 Kōki Imperial Year
    二六〇〇年 2600 [1940]

From the top left, beginner, intermediate, advanced

The middle left is the special skill test item badge, and the right is unknown (Is the emblem later changed to cloth?)

The lower row is the physical fitness badge

Composition of physical fitness award

The "mirror" in the center represents the spirit of the Imperial Way, and the arrow-shaped arrows pointing in all directions indicate the four gods of north, south, east and west, the east (Blue Dragon), the west (White Tiger), the south (Vermilion Bird, said to rule over the southern heavens), and the north (Black Tortoise, said to rule over the northern heavens). The progressive arrow shape indicates strength and is an expression of physical strength and energy. The five colors, the arrow shape and the color of the mirror, indicate the harmonious development of the fifth physical fitness test.

"Physical Training Notebook"

Ministry of Health and Welfare established physical fitness standard (15 to 25 years old)

Advanced Intermediate Beginner

"Run" 100m run 14 seconds 15 seconds 16 seconds

2000m run 7 minutes 30 seconds 8 minutes 9 minutes

• "Jump" long jump 4m80cm 4m50cm 4m
    • "Throw" grenade throw 45m 40m 35m
    • "Transportation" 60 kg / -15 seconds 50 kg / -15 seconds 40 kg / -15 seconds (50 m / 60 kg)
    • "Pull-ups" 12 times 9 times 5 times

Source link

Cheers!
    -- Guy

Quote by ghp95134 View Post
    體力章

"Run" 100m run 14 seconds 15 seconds 16 seconds

2000m run 7 minutes 30 seconds 8 minutes 9 minutes

-- Guy
    They are pretty fast times!

Thanks again Guy, great info!

?

Thank you Guy! Very interesting information.

So if I am understanding correctly, the actual badge is dated 1940?

With that in mind, and from the information in the link, then is it likely that the badge was awarded to a person that was NOT in the Japanese armed forces and was likely a teenager? Or is it possible that a member of the Japanese armed forces received the badge?,

Also, are these badges rare or commonly found?

The badge is civilian and nothing an army guy would have worn. Though the German equivalent, the Reichssportabzeichen, was worn proudly by Wehrmacht soldiers, that would not have happened with this badge. Sells for less than $5 in Japan with little collector interest. 

?

Quote by ghp95134 View Post
    • "Throw" grenade throw 45m 40m 35m
    Would this rubber grenade filled with lead be the item used in the test? The training grenade in question is marked as 手榴彈體力章檢定規格. It is the fourth grenade depicted in the post linked to below.
    Japanese WWII rubber training grenades-Three specimens two types

My statement about the grenade being filled with lead is based upon this post.
    Japanese wwii Training /Practising Grenade

I would like to thank Nick for his guidance on the kanji character layout.

Indeed, grenade-throwing was part of the competition categories for winning this badge, along with long jump, sprinting, marathon, pull-ups and transport.

Men between the ages of 15 to 25 were subjected to these sporting events and won the badges set up in 3 grades, entry level, intermediate level, and advanced level.

Initially the badges were only for boys, but from 1943 girls could win them, too.

The rubber grenade was specially made for this competition.

?

As this training grenade was used in a test, it had to be of a certain weight and dimension and hence the markings. For the test to be fair, all of the grenades would have to be plus or minus a certain weight or the test would be unfair to others.

As for the markings, is this the correct pronunciation of the characters?
    手榴弾体力章検定規格 = Shuryūdan tairyoku shō kentei kikaku.

Also, would 体力章 translate as physical strength/fitness badge or award?

Yes, your reading of the Japanese is correct and Physical fitness award/badge as Guy translated is also spot on.

?

Well I went and found another one for everyone to look at and it backs up what Guy and Nick have said. It does not show all the characters but some are still visible. This one looks to be partly made of steel or iron based upon the rust that appears at the base.
    Help translating training grenade