Steyer Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

Japanese bag with kanjis...

Article about: Hello, May I have your opinion on this bag ? Civilian or military bag ? What for use for ? Size is approximately 30x12 cm Thanks for the feed-backs. P.A

Default Japanese bag with kanjis...

Hello,
    May I have your opinion on this bag ?
    Civilian or military bag ?
    What for use for ?
    Size is approximately 30x12 cm
    Thanks for the feed-backs.
    P.A

It is civilian, intended for storing the national flag “國旗, Kokki”.
    The characters below is a listing of national holidays when the flag was supposed to be flown.

Thanks for your quick answer Akira ++
    What is the national flag "Kokki" ?
    Any picture of this flag ?
    Thank you again. P.A

The national flag is just the standard national flag of Japan, the red sun on a white backing.
    Japan - Wikipedia

Ok I didn't know about the "kokki" name of the flag... I just had "Hinomaru" in head...
    Is this kind of bag still in use nowadays ?
    What would be the age of mine ?
    Thanks.

Quote by Squale69 View Post
    Ok I didn't know about the "kokki" name of the flag... I just had "Hinomaru" in head...
    Is this kind of bag still in use nowadays ?
    What would be the age of mine ?
    Thanks.
    The bag is definitely pre-1945; there is no date, but I see 陸軍記念日 "Armed Forces Day" and that was delisted in 1945; it was replaced in 1966 with 自衛隊記念日 Self-Defense Force Memorial Day.

Kokki literally means "National Flag," Hinomaru 日の丸 also refers to the Japanese national flag -- it is more descriptive and means "Round/circular Sun."

Here are the dictionary definitions:
    [my comments in green]

日の丸 【ひのまる Hinomaru】 (n) (1) outline of the Sun (esp. represented as a red circle); (n) (2) (abbr) (See 日の丸の旗・2) the Japanese flag;
    (2) その日、日の丸の旗がはためいてい 。 Sono hi, Hinomaru no hata ga hatameite ita. On that day, Japanese flags were flying.

親方日の丸 【おやかたひのまる Oyakata Hinomaru】 (n) attitude that with the state as one's boss, normal fiscal accountability can be dispensed with; dependence on the central government; attitude of those who assume their jobs are safe because they are government employees
    [The so-called civil service attitude]

日の丸の旗 【ひのまるのはた Hinomaru no hata】 (n) (1) flag with a red circle on a white background; (n) (2) (See 日章旗) the Japanese flag [旗 has two pronunciations: hata/ki]

日の丸弁当 【ひのまるべんとう Hinomaru Bento】 (n) hinomaru bento (contains plain white rice with a single red umeboshi on top)
    Example from Google search:

Cheers,
    -- Guy

In addition to the Army Day "陸軍記念日” which Guy-san mentioned (March 10th, which incidentally coincides with my late brother Nick's birthday, was specifically intended to commemorate the Army being the anniversary of the Army's victory over the Russians in the Battle of Mukden. The Navy had its own "海軍記念日" on May 27 commemorating its victory in the Battle of Tsushima Straits), in the center of the list immediately below the characters "國旗-National Flag" with a blank date is "招魂祭 -Shoukon-sai, literally, Festival (or Ceremony) Summoning the Spirits" which was a ceremony in which the spirits of those who died in war since the last ceremony would be summoned and deified at the Yasukuni Shrine "靖国神社" in Tokyo. I recall that there is a thread concerning the ribbons issued to the bereaved attending the ceremony somewhere in this Forum.

Thanks Akira & Guy for these additionnal informations ++

I found the old thread concerning the "招魂祭" at Yasukuni Shrine so will paste a link here: Yasukuni badges