Military Antiques Stockholm - Top
Display your banner here

Japanese dog tag.

Article about: Hello. Help with the tranlation. Finds at the sites of camps for Japanese prisoners of war.

Default Japanese dog tag.

Hello. Help with the tranlation. Finds at the sites of camps for Japanese prisoners of war. Japanese dog tag. Japanese dog tag. Japanese dog tag. Japanese dog tag.

The first tag is a repurposed dog tag blank used as some kind of signage. It reads 右 (right) X 正 (primary, correct), which is unlikely to be a name.

The second tag is a nonregulation item in many aspects. The tab itself is not an issue blank, as clear from comparison with the first tab. Secondly, the wording also does not follow regulations for officers. Although during WW2, officer tags were to show their unit ID code followed by their official title (Army, Rank) and full name, this one says "Japan Officer Masaaki Amano".

From 1943, even tags for officers were issued, not privately purchased, so this big departure from regulations is concerning. As these tags were for internal use by the army, starting with "Japan Officer", is meaningless and really makes it sound outlandish. The calligraphy is good, but I cannot say that it is authentic.

右手正
    Ute Akira

The surname can also be read as Migite [yes ... it means "right hand").

-- Guy

Thank you guys. As for authenticity, these are finds of metal detector.

?

Did these come out of Russia? I saw another dogtag recently that had "Japanese Officer" written on it and the officer had been interned in Russia post WWII.

?

some tags i noted dont have ranks... i wonder if thats because another promotion seems likely (which doesnt appear like that on this tag since they left no space to add that) or he did not want to privately buy new tags all the time just because he got a raise in rank or so... could it also be possible his ultimate unit and rank was not yet decided????

i have a tag to a guy later transferred to new guinea... the handengraved contrast of tsusho number vs. his name / rank are heavy to say the least... probably unit code was only put on after arrival in new guinea would be my assumption... ill include picture.

probation officer yoshio okamura
    79 infantry regiment part of the 20th division
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Japanese dog tag.  

That is exactly according to regulations ie Unit, Rank and full name, no funny wording like Japan Officer.

?

Quote by nick komiya View Post
    That is exactly according to regulations ie Unit, Rank and full name, no funny wording like Japan Officer.
    Nick,
    Ok maybe I didn’t explain my thought enough… I meant as an example of the Tsusho code was once missing and later added, hence so heavy difference in engraving style and look… but you are correct now a pretty standard Officer tag.

- Ben