Espenlaub Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

Japanese Flag for Authentication/Translation

Article about: This silk flag was given to me by an old friend, and since neither of us know anything about such things I am hoping that one of the members of the forum can provide some information. Measur

Default Japanese Flag for Authentication/Translation

This silk flag was given to me by an old friend, and since neither of us know anything about such things I am hoping that one of the members of the forum can provide some information.

Measurements approximately 32 inches by 40 inches, double-sided.

Thanks in advance for your assistance.

(S0me images are "sideways" for unknown reasons.)
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Japanese Flag for Authentication/Translation   Japanese Flag for Authentication/Translation  

Japanese Flag for Authentication/Translation   Japanese Flag for Authentication/Translation  

Japanese Flag for Authentication/Translation   Japanese Flag for Authentication/Translation  

?

This is the correct orientation of your flag.

PG-Japanese Flag for Authentication/Translation

Are you or your friend named Bob? This flag was presented to an American named Bob, as a farewell message from his friends in Niigata Japan. Slogans about friendship between Japan and the USA, World Peace, beautiful girls of Niigata, etc.

Here's the dedication Nick mentions:

-- Guy

My friend's name was Robert, aka "Bob" but he never mentioned that the flag was presented to him. He is no longer with us so I am unable to ask.

Many thanks for your help!

I guess his stay in Japan was pleasant. Note that the large slogans are identical to the wartime ones. If someone is travelling away from home for a sports match like the Olympics, it is still common that you get these from well wishers with the same slogans. So you need enough writing on them that gives some historical context.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Japanese Flag for Authentication/Translation