Steyer Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

Japanese Flag Identification.

Article about: Hey guys, I was given this Japanese Flag several years ago. The man who gave it to me said it was from the Second World War, but I have never been able to find any evidence of a flag that lo

Default Japanese Flag Identification.

Hey guys, I was given this Japanese Flag several years ago. The man who gave it to me said it was from the Second World War, but I have never been able to find any evidence of a flag that looked like this.
    The flag has no markings or lettering anywhere on it, Its about 4ft.x2ft., and is a little bit yellowed and has some stains and holes. The foil-like triangles in the corners connecting the string to hang it are very damaged. The creases are from the last guy who had it stored folded into a square.
    I don't know anything about this flag, but maybe one of you knows something I don't.
    Any info at all is well appreciated, thanks!
    Japanese Flag Identification.

?

Your flag is in fact WW2 era. Its a civilian flag. These are the type of flags that were commonly signed and gifted to departing Japanese soldiers and sailors. Unsigned flags were also carried by many Japanese soldiers throughout the China campaign and WW2, as we know it. You will not find a similar flag if you are looking for Japanese flags which fall into military specification, as civilian flags did not. They are called civilian, as they were purchased in the open public market and available to all. Military flags fall into very specific design specifications and control.

PG-

Awesome! Thanks for your help!
    How would you recommend displaying/storing it?