Damn Yankee - Top
Display your banner here

Japanese flying helmet ?

Article about: Hello, May I have your opinion on this leather helmet ? Looks like Japanese Kanjis inside (but not easily readable...) Japanese one ? what era ? Thanks for the feed-backs. P.A

Default Japanese flying helmet ?

Hello,
    May I have your opinion on this leather helmet ?
    Looks like Japanese Kanjis inside (but not easily readable...)
    Japanese one ? what era ?
    Thanks for the feed-backs.
    P.A

Japanese flying helmet ?
    Japanese flying helmet ?
    Japanese flying helmet ?
    Japanese flying helmet ?
    Japanese flying helmet ?
    Japanese flying helmet ?

Although this is a variant I have not seen before (no provisions for ears), this is most likely a WW2 Japanese Army flight helmet in the post 1943 construction which is missing its frontal star insignia as well as its rear adjustment strap. There should be a perforated pattern on the end of the left chin piece indicating the size of the helmet.
    For information on how a typical Army flight helmet looks like, please refer to the following thread: The Evolution of IJA Flight Uniforms (1910-1945)

The kanji on the right side which seems to start with “西”, “nishi”‘or west is most likely the owner’s name although the rest of the name is no longer legible.

?

Very strange flight cap.

Thanks for the feed-backs !

The front does not look like having a star insignia missing as there are no seam marks...

Japanese flying helmet ?

P.A

The cut of the leather panels as well as the metal snaps are definitely army, but at least all variants of army flight helmets I have seen had either ear cups or large round flat ear flaps which is lacking in this piece. Also, the star insignia is sewn on before the lining is sewn on, so it can’t be an uncompleted army helmet waiting for a star to be sewn on. It is also missing the tightening strap even though it has slits for the strap cut into the leather.
    My guess would be a civilian helmet made after the war from left over parts.