Ratisbon's - Top
Display your banner here

Japanese "Gendarme" Armband

Article about: Hello, May I have your opinion on this Japanese "Gendarme" armband ? Size approximately 15x36cm Thanks for the feed-backs... P.A

Default Japanese "Gendarme" Armband

Hello,
    May I have your opinion on this Japanese "Gendarme" armband ?
    Size approximately 15x36cm
    Thanks for the feed-backs...
    P.A

These have been extensively discussed here: Kempeitai Armband Authentication
    All I can say is that they do not match the specifications issued for the armbands on July 3, 1942 which specified a length of 400mm and height of 120mm with three rows of grommet holes for the string to pass through. What did the armbands look like before the specifications were promulgated?, I don’t know, and with all the cleverly made and convincing looking fakes out there it is a most scary area of collecting.
    In my youth, I recall being told that original MP armbands had woolen letters stitched on in an appliqué fashion by experienced collectors just like the one in the link I attached, but it turns out that at least those with rock solid pedigree, such as those donated to museums by their original owners all seem to have printed letters and the three rows of grommets.
    Could there have been others? I don’t know. One thing you can do is to see if the white material glows under a black light (UV fluorescent tube).
    If it does, then you will know it’s a fake.

Thanks for the comment ++ !
    It does not look to glow under black light...

I will stay with my interrogations on this armband ;-)
    P.A

Was the armband found in France? If so, if it is original are we assuming this comes from Vietnam?
    Cheers,
    Tony