Great Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

Japanese Helmets

Article about: Hello. A while back a person tried to sell me a Type 90 helmet. Luckily I passed on it as it had obviously been repainted and the army star replaced. I saw these two helmets from another sou

?

Default Japanese Helmets

Hello. A while back a person tried to sell me a Type 90 helmet. Luckily I passed on it as it had obviously been repainted and the army star replaced. I saw these two helmets from another source and was hoping for an opinion as to authenticity and condition. Thanks for any feedback.

Helmet # 1 pictures here:

Japanese Helmets
    Japanese Helmets
    Japanese Helmets
    Japanese Helmets
    Japanese Helmets
    Japanese Helmets

Helmet #2 pictures below. I am a bit concerned about the star...not sure if it is original to the helmet or a replacement.

Japanese Helmets
    Japanese Helmets
    Japanese Helmets
    Japanese Helmets
    Japanese Helmets
    Japanese Helmets
    Japanese Helmets

The second helmet is out of the question, judging by the crooked star and somehow unmatched, swapped out liner. The first is more promising, except that the chin strap only retains about 50% of its full length and not much paint remains.

?

Agree with Nick. First helmet is a nice issued, well worn example. Depending on price you can overlook the cut down, shortened chinstraps. Second helmet pass on

MAP
    ?

I agree on the first one. Not minty but certainly a nice solid helmet. I like it.
    "Please", Thank You" and proper manners appreciated

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

?

Thank you all for the comments and advice.

It seems that the helmets that I come across have chinstraps that have frayed ends. The sticky on helmets that Nick posted shows the chinstraps with what appear to be sewn, pointed tips. Are the frayed ends and shortened chinstraps typically from wear and tear in the field?

And is it rare to come across helmets with chinstraps that are not frayed?

Thanks!

?

The shortened chin straps on your example have most probably been cut, for reasons unknown. I don’t believe it is rare to find helmets with sewn pointed chin straps. Here’s a pic of some different examples. It seems that perhaps later in the war, some straps were left frayed and just sewn across near the end.

Japanese Helmets

If you want to assess how much of the strap remains, full length, measured from the ring is about 62cm or a bit over 2 feet long.

Also, original strap rings are really small and too tight to retrofit straps to bare shells. So swapped out examples will show tampering there, typically using larger rings.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Japanese Helmets   Japanese Helmets  

Last edited by Nick Komiya; 02-12-2021 at 10:58 AM.

I would pass on both too - you made the right choice. First one is balding from loss of paint and has short chinstraps. 2nd one is not worthy either.
    Save your money and get ONE 100% good one instead and use the forum for help if you have concerns
    Last edited by Long Shot; 02-12-2021 at 07:34 PM.

?

Thank you Nick. If I am reading the dimensions in the pictures, the ring is 13 mm in diameter and the chin strap is 20 mm across. Is that correct?

And are these dimensions consistent across both the Army and Navy helmets? Or did they vary depending on the branch of the military and the date of production?

Yes, it's all metric. Regards navy, let's cross that bridge when we get there, as I don't want to be pulling things out to measure yet, and army's the way to start anyway.