Damn Yankee - Top
Display your banner here

Japanese Hinomaru Yosegaki Flag

Article about: Hello, I hope everyone is doing well. I recently acquired this flag in a trade deal last week. After doing some reading into these flags, it appears that some of them contained information t

Default Japanese Hinomaru Yosegaki Flag

Hello,

I hope everyone is doing well. I recently acquired this flag in a trade deal last week. After doing some reading into these flags, it appears that some of them contained information that could help trace the flag back to the soldier who carried it, such as his name or the town he was from. Am I correct in thinking this? I have not had much experience in Japanese military items, aside from a few helmets I have bought and sold over the years. Are there any tools that can help me decipher the writing on the flag? Any help in pointing me in the right direction is greatly appreciated.

If the picture is not good enough I can take the flag outside and get better pictures, these are the ones provided to me by the seller.

Kind regards, Andrew
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Japanese Hinomaru Yosegaki Flag   Japanese Hinomaru Yosegaki Flag  

Hi Andrew,

Nice flag. I do not see any mention of a town or location. The flag was gifted to Mr. Kawabata.

祈武運長久 
    Inori Bu’un Choukyuu
    Prayers for everlasting luck in the fortunes of war.

贈川端梅一君
    Zou Kawabata Ume’ichi kun
    Gift to Mr. Kawabata Ume’ichi

The given name Ume’ichi might also be pronounced as Umekazu or maybe as Shou’ichi (same kanji pronounced differently).

Everything else looks to be the signatures of well-wishers.

Cheers,
    — Guy

Thank you very much for the information! It is greatly appreciated. It is nice to have a name that can be placed with the flag.

Kind regards, Andrew

?

Out of curiosity, is the flag square in shape? It appears that way from the pictures.