Virtual Grenadier - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Japanese Naval(?) Sword. Info Needed!

Article about: Greetings everyone. One of my buddies has this sword for sale, and I am interested in buying it, but I have some questions first. He said that it is a Japanese Naval sword that was made some

RZM
    ?

Default Japanese Naval(?) Sword. Info Needed!

Greetings everyone. One of my buddies has this sword for sale, and I am interested in buying it, but I have some questions first. He said that it is a Japanese Naval sword that was made somewhere around 1938. There are no markings on the blade or tang. It has a ray skin wrapped handle and an iron Tsuba. It is quite a bit shorter than the katanas that I am used to seeing. I forgot to measure it while I was there. The scabbard was once covered in a thin leather, under which is a very thin wrapping of rice paper. There are some Japanese characters written on the paper. The scabbard itself is metal and appears to have been painted a greenish color at one time. The blade appears to have dried blood on it, which is very possible since it was found in the estate of a WWII veteran.

He is asking $200 for it. Is this a decent price, or is it too rough? Any help identifying this sword would be greatly appreciated! Thanks in advance!
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Japanese Naval(?) Sword.  Info Needed!   Japanese Naval(?) Sword.  Info Needed!  

Japanese Naval(?) Sword.  Info Needed!   Japanese Naval(?) Sword.  Info Needed!  

Japanese Naval(?) Sword.  Info Needed!  
    Attached Images Attached Images Japanese Naval(?) Sword.  Info Needed! 

RZM
    ?

There's gotta be someone here who knows something about Japanese swords. Anyone!

Hello RZM, You should post this in the Japanese section of the Axis Militaria area of the forum, maybe contact a mod to move it for you, you will get more replies, there are a few good experts on Japanese items here, just give it time, remember its the holiday and alot of people are traveling and being with family so it may take a bit before you get some replies I would take a shot at it for 200 but thats just me.

?

I would like to see the tang. Normally a naval sword is stainless with rayskin saya. This looks more like a type 98, but in very rough condition. I don't think the blade could stand a polish, nor would it likely be worth it if machine made, so pretty much a relic. For 200 bucks not a terrible deal.

HTHs

?

RZM , i have now moved your thread to the Axis / Japanese forum , which is more relevent to your item . Please be patient , you will receive excellent feedback given time , as there are members here who are very highly regarded in the field of Japanese swords .
    REGARDS AL

We are the Pilgrims , master, we shall go
    Always a little further : it may be
    Beyond that last blue mountain barred with snow
    Across that angry or that glimmering sea...

?

Can you post images of the tang of the sword and also the tip of the blade please .
    REGARDS AL

We are the Pilgrims , master, we shall go
    Always a little further : it may be
    Beyond that last blue mountain barred with snow
    Across that angry or that glimmering sea...

?

Its not standard navy sword. It looks like older katana mounted for either army or navy use.
    Need to see nakago and close ups of the blade .

Heres some kaigunto's.

Quote by drdata View Post
    I would like to see the tang. Normally a naval sword is stainless with rayskin saya. This looks more like a type 98, but in very rough condition. I don't think the blade could stand a polish, nor would it likely be worth it if machine made, so pretty much a relic. For 200 bucks not a terrible deal.

HTHs
    Although stainless blades were used by naval officers, this became more common later in the war. It is not unusual to find a true war time hand made blade or older blade in Japanese naval mounts. Thethe overall blade shape and the habaki or collar on the sword under the guard is not a type found on war time blades which is the reeason Gunto stated it is likely an older blade.
    BOB

LIFE'S LOSERS NEVER LEARN FROM THE ERROR OF THEIR WAYS.

RZM
    ?

Thanks for the info guys, and thank you for moving this to the appropriate place Alan! I do not have the sword in hand, but I have seen the tang in person, and it is completely blank from what I remember. I will see if my buddy won't mind taking it off again.

Thanks again!

This is rough, if the price is right buy it... I would !!! Try to get a break on the price though !!!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast