Militaria-Reisig & Antiquitäten - Top
Display your banner here

Japanese Rising Sun Flag - Authenticity?

Article about: Hello All! I am by no means an expert in Japanese flags, but am hoping to learn more on this lifelong collecting journey. I found this Japanese Rising Sun flag and would like to get some add

Default Japanese Rising Sun Flag - Authenticity?

Hello All!

I am by no means an expert in Japanese flags, but am hoping to learn more on this lifelong collecting journey. I found this Japanese Rising Sun flag and would like to get some additional opinions on it, please and thank you. I have looked through several forms on this site as well as through a few reference books I have, and it looks good to me with one caveat. That being the color of the leather reinforcement s on the corners, which appear to be a black (or dark blue?) color. In everything I have seen as original examples, brown or brownish leather is always used. That being the case, would this flag be considered authentic? Any and all help is greatly appreciated.

*All pictures are credited to the dealer*

Spartan,

The tabs are the first thing that I focused in on and to me they just don't look right. I would be wary of this being WW2 era.

Others with more experience with Japanese flags will hopefully comment and confirm, but for me, No..

Smitty

?

Its gotten some attention on other platforms. I mainly collect Japanese flags. The flag itself is a good WW2 era flag. The writing, has been said to be post war done. A fairly well known Native Japanese flag collector states that it is incorrectly written regarding the submarine school it references. He also stated he believes the writing is post war because the IJN Officers named on the flag should appear in IJN records, which they do not. If not for these reasons, I would have grabbed it too! Below is the correct orientation.

PG-Japanese Rising Sun Flag - Authenticity?