Militaria-Reisig & Antiquitäten - Top
Display your banner here

Japanese short sword

Article about: Hello, I made my last purchase the other day of 2020 (I think anyways). I believe it’s a Meji Edo period police or sergeants short sword. Beautiful condition for its age in my opinion... w

Default Japanese short sword

Hello,

I made my last purchase the other day of 2020 (I think anyways). I believe it’s a Meji Edo period police or sergeants short sword. Beautiful condition for its age in my opinion... with black same’ grip.

I have a question about the police badge on the backstrap. It has strike marks through it like some of the arisaka rifles that have the strike marks through the chrysanthemum? Or are my eyes playing tricks on me?

Was this a common practice as well at the end of the war?

Thanks,
    D
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Japanese short sword   Japanese short sword  

Japanese short sword   Japanese short sword  

Japanese short sword  

I forgot to mention that the scabbard is missing one of the two screws at the throat. I took the single screw out to see if I can find some sort of replacement. I removed the cap and cleaned the rust from underneath. The wooden inserts came out as well. I assume that they weren’t glued in or secured inside the metal scabbard? Anyways, the wood inserts appear to be very thin and delicate. They also had some kanji written on each side that I thought I would share as well.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Japanese short sword   Japanese short sword  

Japanese short sword   Japanese short sword  

Dawson, pages 303-4, calls this a "Patrolman or sergeant" police sword. I can't say about the stike-outs, but I've heard of the practice on guns, too. Wouldn't surprise me.

The paint on the liner is numbers - 3 10 1; 7 0 8 - don't know the purpose.

Thanks for the info Bruce...

i was hoping more people would chime in. i have only ever seen that on rifles. just a thought maybe some guy misunderstood what they were supposed to deface.

I agree!

I have never seen this on a police badge before. Possibly could’ve been post war as well. Who knows? I thought it was odd as well. Thanks for the comment.