Wardmilitaria - Top
Display your banner here

Japanese Soldiers Prayer flag and some personal effects

Article about: Hi Guys, as we have not had anything Japanese shown on the forum yet I though that I would share these items. They were brought back by a British soldier who fought in the Far East, a Privat

Default Japanese Soldiers Prayer flag and some personal effects

Hi Guys, as we have not had anything Japanese shown on the forum yet I though that I would share these items.

They were brought back by a British soldier who fought in the Far East, a Private Nicholson. All these items came from one Japanese soldier, whom I suspect was KIA.

The main item is a prayer flag. These were good luck items which a soldier's family and friends would sign with good luck messages and patriotic slogans before a soldier left for the front. He would carry this with him to bring good luck in battle. Note the different hand writting on this one. I had the writing kindly translated by a Japanese friend, Akira. Some of the messages read:

"Your life for the Nation!"
    "Do your part with bravery!"
    "100 million people with one aim!"
    "loyalty to the Emperor"
    "The brave man attacks!"
    "May your body be unscathed"
    "Best wishes for your military career"
    "Loyalty, bravery, strong justice"

Next we have an actual photo of the soldier himself, taken when he was a new recruit. He must have be promoted later, as in the group is a rank tab for a Sgt major.

Also shown are an ivory cigarette holder set with stones. Finally a banknote issed by the Japanese Government. Called with comtempt by Allied soldiers as "Banana money".

Quite a sad group which makes you think about the reality behind the items which we collect.

Cheers, Ade.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Japanese Soldiers Prayer flag and some personal effects   Japanese Soldiers Prayer flag and some personal effects  

Japanese Soldiers Prayer flag and some personal effects   Japanese Soldiers Prayer flag and some personal effects  

Attached Images Attached Images Japanese Soldiers Prayer flag and some personal effects 

SS Ring Man
    ?

Default Re: Japanese Soldiers Prayer flag and some personal effects

I have one in my collection the read "BRING BACK THE HEAD OF CHIANG KAI-SHEK AND GIVE IT TO THE EMPEROR" A little to personal dont you think.Great collection over all Thanks for the look Good Luck Darrell

?

Nice group,I dont have anything Japanese,darn.
    JEDEM DAS SEINE

Wish we could return these items to his family.. least that's what i always think...

I missed this thread Ade, super fantastic provenance. I know you are proud of all the things you can trace back, as well you should be. Really great stuff. I wish I knew the history behind more of the stuff I have collected. The messages on your prayer flag are indeed haunting, knowing the probable outcome for this young man.

Take care,
    Jay

Very nice flag Ade. Great to have had it translated as well.........
    Regards,

Steve.

?

Ade , the fact that these items come from one individual , along with a photo really enhances the group . A great flag and i love the tab also
    REGARDS AL

We are the Pilgrims , master, we shall go
    Always a little further : it may be
    Beyond that last blue mountain barred with snow
    Across that angry or that glimmering sea...