MilitaryHarbor - Top
Display your banner here

Japanese sword

Article about: Had a family member that served in the pacific theatre during world war 2. He said he brought back this sword but I know nothing about it. I forgot why the handle is missing but if anybody c

?

Default Japanese sword

Had a family member that served in the pacific theatre during world war 2. He said he brought back this sword but I know nothing about it. I forgot why the handle is missing but if anybody can tell me anything else about the sword it would be greatly appreciated!
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Japanese sword   Japanese sword  

Japanese sword   Japanese sword  

Japanese sword   Japanese sword  

Japanese sword  

It looks like a stainless steel blade -- the nakago (tang) has absolutely no patina -- which is normal for WWII era stainless steel blades. If it is stainless, the hamon (edge design -- this one is suguha: straight) is cosmetic and will come off if it is polished.

-- Guy

?

A quick question, have you cleaned the tang? If that is its original condition then there is a good chance that the blade is "rust resistant" though I would usually expect a manufacturers stamp if it was.

The scabbard is of the Rinji Seshiki style, aka the Type 3 or Naval Landing sword.... More info here. Deflating another Myth, The Type 3 Army Officer’s Sword (Expanded Version)

An interesting piece because of the single mekugi ana. Most Rinji-seishiki blades have two holes in the nakago (tang). The one closest to the tsuba (handguard) held a screw and the one near the end a bamboo peg (mekugi). Yours only has one hole. It is possible that the blade was picked up without fittings at all, and the Rinji-seishiki scabbard (saya) was found to bring the sword home.

Most anti-rust blades were made for the navy, but there were some made to fill army requests. I haven't see many of them, but I don't think the army blades had a stamp. I could be wrong on that Dave.

But this may have been found as is. The handle could have been severely damaged and/or just lost. They come off easily with the peg removed. If you intend to restore the missing parts, I've attached a couple of pictures of similar Rinji-seishiki handles and tsuba (handguards). Sometimes you can find them for sale on ebay. There are a few collectors who have spare parts as well, if you can find them.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Japanese sword  
    Attached Images Attached Images Japanese sword 

?

Wow thank you I have been looking to replace the missing handle but had no clue where to look or how to put it on

?

No I have never cleaned it but I thought I saw a stamp, but it looks like half it missing but I’m no expert
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Japanese sword  

Quote by Serene View Post
    No I have never cleaned it but I thought I saw a stamp, but it looks like half it missing but I’m no expert
    Yup, Navy! That's the circle-anchor mark.
    Japanese sword

-- Guy

?

Oh wow thank you!!! Glad to know it’s navy now just have to get a handle

Well,
    I wouldn't call it "navy." The blade was made at the Toyokawa Navy Arsenal, but they made blades for the army too. Here's a quote from Ohmura's website:
    "Toyokawa Navy Arsenal and Kamakura / Amaterasu Forging Plant

Most of the swords were swordsmiths of Seki, and at that time, the Seki cutlery industry association had first to sixth departments.
    The name of each swordsmith was cut on the sword made by Seki and delivered to the Navy Amaterasuyama Forge.
    The Navy engineer engraved the inspection mark on the accepted product, and the abraded staff made the final polishing. (Testimony of Kenji Amaterasu from Kunio Ikuta, Gifu Prefectural Museum) It is
    probable that the Toyokawa Navy Arsenal was the same.
    In addition to this, there is a brand-name sword that the swordsmith has forged and polished Yasugi steel silver and made it in earnest. Supplied to Army and Navy officers."
    耐錆鋼刀 Stainless steel sword

So, the blade was made at a forge run by the Toyokawa Navy Arsenal, but this one was sold to the Army, fitting in Army fittings, and carried by an Army officer. Hope that's not confusing!