Great Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

Japanese Sword knot Opinion

Article about: Hello Is this a ww2 era Japanese sword knot, or just part of one? Does the sword handle look like a WW2 original? (at least what is pictured of it) Thanks

Default Japanese Sword knot Opinion

Hello
    Is this a ww2 era Japanese sword knot, or just part of one? Does the sword handle look like a WW2 original? (at least what is pictured of it)
    Thanks
    Japanese Sword knot Opinion

No, it does not look anything like a sword knot, but just a cord frayed at the end.

Here are a few more pictures of the sword. It is not in the best shape. Does it look original?
    Japanese Sword knot OpinionJapanese Sword knot OpinionJapanese Sword knot OpinionJapanese Sword knot OpinionJapanese Sword knot Opinion

Need better pictures of the blade and a view of the tang. It looks authentic so far (to my uneducated eye).

--Guy

Sorry for the poor pictures. They are all I have. I appreciate the help. Here are a couple of more. Does a sword in this condition have much value?
    Japanese Sword knot OpinionJapanese Sword knot Opinion

?

Sword is genuine and I'd speculate that the blade is an older one, though pictures of the nakago are required to know.

?

It looks like a "shotgun" job to me, as in all the pieces are old but put together to make a saleable item. Blade and habaki are a bad fit, saya is out through the end of field cover and two mismatched ashi put on in a sort of imitation of a naval sword. The blade might even be an NCO blade, or from an earlier pattern of army sword.

My personal opinion is that if you buy it, do so as a source of parts not as a complete and genuine sword.

What is a reasonable value for a parts sword like this?
    Thanks

Thank you for the help.

?

As little as you can get away with! I sold an old (Koto blade) parts sword with a rebind hilt, and a blade too far gone to polish, and a rust eaten tang, for £200 to an enthusiastic gamer who just wanted a real Japanese sword in any condition. I think I got the best of the bargain.