Griffin Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

Japanese Type 32 'Ko" Help Please

Article about: Good day to all. This is the 2nd sword being offered to me, Japanese Type 32. I passed on the 1st one thanks to the information received, much appreciated. The blade length on this one is 33

Default Japanese Type 32 'Ko" Help Please

Good day to all. This is the 2nd sword being offered to me, Japanese Type 32. I passed on the 1st one thanks to the information received, much appreciated. The blade length on this one is 33", 84 cm, and the scabbard is matching numbers. I do not understand why blade lengths are different, assuming there was a standard specification for these. I hopefully have the pics oriented correctly. Kokura arsenal as well. The blade and scabbard look original to me but would appreciate additional opinions. Thank you for taking the time to look and reply.
    John

Japanese Type 32 'Ko" Help PleaseJapanese Type 32 'Ko" Help PleaseJapanese Type 32 'Ko" Help PleaseJapanese Type 32 'Ko" Help PleaseJapanese Type 32 'Ko" Help PleaseJapanese Type 32 'Ko" Help PleaseJapanese Type 32 'Ko" Help PleaseJapanese Type 32 'Ko" Help PleaseJapanese Type 32 'Ko" Help PleaseJapanese Type 32 'Ko" Help PleaseJapanese Type 32 'Ko" Help PleaseJapanese Type 32 'Ko" Help Please

Here the blade length differences
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Japanese Type 32 'Ko" Help Please  

?

With 83 cm blade your is a Cavalry one

?

This is now the highest recorded Type 32 Kō Sword 三十二年式軍刀甲. The previous high serial number was 84984. The late Type 32 Swords changed the direction of the markings on the crossguard and the picture above is now upside down! The Japanese also dropped the practice of dating Type 32 Swords and Nick has already translated the document pertaining to this.
    Short Development History of Type 95 Gunto, Post #23

Thank you for the information. I rotated the pic before posting due to the last one being upside down. I am not smart enough to keep up.
    John

Japanese Type 32 'Ko" Help Please

Nice condition overall - I'd grab it for sure

Here's a summary for easy ID
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Japanese Type 32 'Ko" Help Please  

@Nick I find one column in the chart you posted very interesting. Just how many converted (at least an approximation) Type 32 were there? Was the practice common? What would merit a Type 32 to be converted? Do you have an example picture of this? Thanks

See here for how they looked