MilitaryHarbor - Top
Display your banner here

Kaigunto Tang Translation

Article about: I recently was able to acquire a Japanese Kaigunto from Daniel Griffin of griffinmilitaria.com. I was hoping someone could translate or identify the kanji on the tang. Thanks in advance.

Default Kaigunto Tang Translation

I recently was able to acquire a Japanese Kaigunto from Daniel Griffin of griffinmilitaria.com. I was hoping someone could translate or identify the kanji on the tang. Thanks in advance.Kaigunto Tang TranslationKaigunto Tang Translation

The Mei reads Made by Mitsunaga 光永作 His real name was Hei-ichi Noguchi, a smith in Seki

Awesome! Thanks so much!

You probably already know the stamp is of the Toyokawa Navy Arsenal and the blade is likely made of anti-rust steel.

I figured as much. Is there a definitive way to tell if it's stainless steel vs non-stainless?

Errrr ..... no rust?

But seriously, look at how new your nakago looks compared to one that is forged from carbon steel. I've got a Minatogawa () too, and it is so bright ... almost need to wear sunglasses.

They always have that shiny, aircraft aluminum (but not aluminum) look. Compare yours to my standard nakago:
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Kaigunto Tang Translation