Combat-relics.com - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Koishikawa Arsenal Type 30

Article about: Hi Guys, I've had this bayonet for 10-15 years. I believe it's a Koishikawa Arsenal Tokyo type 30. I just recently got my second one that's a Hikari Seiki Seisaku-jo. They are both pre-42, b

Hi Danger,

Yes, that does look like the remains of 2 inspectors stamps on the back of the crosspiece. From what I have seen so far, these are only on the earlier Koishikawa bayonets, so we can forget the search for a kana symbol!

I would suggest that the old number is a 6 digit one, it couldn't start with a 7 and be 7 digits. If that is the case, then what you have is a Koishikawa produced bayonet numbered 75xxxx, which would have been produced in the 1900 to 1910 period, I believe. It has then at a later time, probably 1937 onwards, undergone a refurbishment under the Nagoya Arsenal. During this refurbishment the blade has been blued, the grips replaced, and it has been renumbered 2053 (probably to go to a training establishment).

Ironically, my example bayonet mentioned above is also a 7xxxxx.

Cheers,
    Tony

Koishikawa Arsenal Type 30Koishikawa Arsenal Type 30

?

Hi Tony

Yes I did a recount and it is 6 digits.
    7515X1 or 7516X4.

Wow I always just thought it was a WWII bayonet. I'm surprised it's a Pre WWI bayonet.
    Thanks for all your help.
    Very ironic they both start with a 7!!

Cheers

Danger

Hi Danger,

Yes, pleased that we could come to a conclusion regarding your bayonet.

And guess what, I bought a Type 30 yesterday, my first for 2 & 1/2 years! A very early, un-refurbished, Koishikawa one with the serial number on the tang. Looks like it has seen some use. The dealer got a batch of 10 from the States, so it could be a veteran bring-back from the field. Serials on the tang go up to 228xxx from observations so far, then they moved to the pommel end.

Cheers,
    Tony

Koishikawa Arsenal Type 30Koishikawa Arsenal Type 30Koishikawa Arsenal Type 30Koishikawa Arsenal Type 30Koishikawa Arsenal Type 30

?

Hi Tony,

Looking good mate.
    I'm now looking for one with a frog too.
    I've seen a couple, but nothing in the same condition of your one!

I just received the bayonet I got from America.
    I gave it a light clean.
    Is it my imagination or does it look like the original owner carved his name on the grip?
    Once again the serial number starts with "lucky" 7.

Thanks,

Danger
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Koishikawa Arsenal Type 30   Koishikawa Arsenal Type 30  

Koishikawa Arsenal Type 30   Koishikawa Arsenal Type 30  

Hi Danger,

Looks like a nice original bayonet, by Hikari Seiki. The stamps on the pommel are pretty clear, with a Tokyo inspector's stamp. However, having said that, I am not sure what the second hiragana is! Does the bayonet have a hooked quillion and a blued fullered blade?

Frogs in the UK seem to go for £50 plus on their own these days. Was happy my new one came with a frog without it being too expensive. Note that the strap is missing though.

Re the marks on the grip, I would think it is more likely they were made by using the bayonet to hit something.

Cheers,
    Tony

Quote by bestmsdt View Post
    ... I am not sure what the second hiragana is! ...
    Hi Tony,

I'm not sure because the stamping is not that clear, but the second hiragana looks to me like [mĕ].

いめ
    i me
    [ē mĕ]

-- Guy

?

Hi Tony and Guy,

I've taken some clearer photos in the sun.
    It had a lot of surface rust that I got off with anti-rust oil spray I use on my guns.
    It has a hooked quillion and a blued fullered blade.

Cheers

Danger
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Koishikawa Arsenal Type 30   Koishikawa Arsenal Type 30  

Yes, it is a nice bayonet. According to Labar, this is identified as LB-96. He records 3 serial number ranges for this variant:
    いひ, いも, and いせ (he lists these as the 92nd, 93rd and 94th series)
    However, the 91st series is いゑ, so I wonder if that is what it is.

He publishes tables of the series order for katakana and hiragana symbols, though I don't understand what this order is based on.

Guy - do you know if there is some convention for using hiragana in a numbering order in which ゑひもせ would appear in that sequence?

Cheers,
    Tony

?

The order is based upon the iroha poem.
    Iroha

Thanks Kiipu, that answers that on! Another piece of knowledge to file away!
    Cheers,
    Tony

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast