Militaria-Reisig & Antiquitäten - Top
Display your banner here
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Koishikawa Arsenal Type 30

Article about: Hi Guys, I've had this bayonet for 10-15 years. I believe it's a Koishikawa Arsenal Tokyo type 30. I just recently got my second one that's a Hikari Seiki Seisaku-jo. They are both pre-42, b

Default After Reading The Link By Kiipu ......

Well it definitely is not ......

But it might be (a variation of the above).

Both are archaic versions of the modern い (hiragana) and イ (katakana).

-- Guy

Then again, since your serial number begins with い it does not make sense to follow up with ゐ (another version of い).

Hmmmmmmmmmmmm ......

In case this helps, here's the code list for the hiragana (arsenal code) and katakana (Manufacturer code) stamps used for weapons.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Koishikawa Arsenal Type 30  

?

Quote by ghp95134 View Post
    Then again, since your serial number begins with い it does not make sense to follow up with ゐ (another version of い).
    Does this help Guy? Serial numbers over 4,900,000 used two hiragana prefixes. Nick has posted about this before.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Koishikawa Arsenal Type 30  

Thanks Kiipu, but I do not see a corresponding hiragana on that chart.

The second row -- the "i" row:

打刻數 Engraved Number
    • いい ii
    • いろ iro
    • いな ina
    • いて ite
    • いん in

I do not see anything looking like a rounded hiragana:
    • あ a
    • お o
    • の no
    • め me
    • ぬ nu
    • る ru
    • ろ ro
    • ゐ wi

A real head-scratcher!
    Koishikawa Arsenal Type 30

-- Guy

?

Quote by bestmsdt View Post
    Hi Danger, have a bit of time so will attempt to say what I have learned about dating Type 30 bayonets.

Firstly, you probably already know that there is a comprehensive work by Raymond Labar called 'Bayonets of Japan'. I got mine directly from him a few years ago. Postage from the US to the UK is expensive, and buying directly from the author turned out to be the most economical route. However, I see that his web site has now gone, so not sure what that means. Does anyone have any information on Raymond?
    A little late to the party, but just saw that Raymond Labar was featured in September's Banzai newsletter, displaying some of his Jinsen bayonet collection at a show in Alabama a couple of months ago. Don't know about his website, but he is still active.

Tom

Thanks Tom. Good to know that he is around and still indulging in his passion!

This arcane discussion on a single hiragana character has certainly taken on a life of its own!

Guy, I agree that my suggestion of ゑ doesn't really match what we are seeing, but then none of the hiragana do, especially with the deep strikes at the top of the stamp. I wonder if we are looking at a double strike or mistake of some sort, though I don't yet see an exact explanation.

Labar's work, and his cataloguing of the variants, is, I assume, based on observation of a large number of bayonets over time when it comes to serial number ranges. It seems that, with a few exceptions, whereas katakana was used with a single character, hiragana is used with 2 characters, the first one being い,ろ,は,に,ほ, or へ. This I am getting from flicking through his book, but I see that it matches the righthand side of Nick's table, representing the block ranges allocated to specific arsenals and then to manufacturers under those arsenals.

The observed hiragana serial ranges assigned to Hikari Seki are いゑ, いひ, いも, いせ and いす, which represent the final 5 characters in the Iroha numbering order (Wefi mo sesu).

Obviously, it is possible that there were other assigned ranges, as yet unobserved. But there again, nothing really matches those strokes.

Cheers,
    Tony

?

Jon Chicken aka Monkeyboy over at gunboards.com Japanese board is extremely knowledgeable regarding series hiragana marks

The series prefix of this bayonet is いも, series 93.
    The second hiragana is shaped on a way which makes it hard to distinguish, horizontal lines are curved and reach the lower hook, giving this mark a rounded appearance.

L
    Last edited by Shabadabada; 11-14-2022 at 07:47 PM.

Hi Shabababadabadabada (kinda like banananana ... I never know when to stop!)

Welcome to the forum and thank you for your post. I know nothing about the subject but can read a bit of Japanese ... I am just stumped over this particular hiragana stamp. I trust that you know the subject as you state the "...bayonet is いも, series 113...." There is no way I can reconcile the mystery stamp as も; but as was said earlier, perhaps it is an overstrike. Though, it does not look like an overstrike to me.

Ah well, I guess we'll not know for certain, but will take into advisement it falls into the いも series.

Many thanks,
    -- Guy

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast