Great Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

Last ditch Japanese bayonet?

Article about: A friend of the family popped in today with a few bits and pieces he asked me to dispose of for him. Amongst them was a bayonet which I first assumed to possibly be a 'last ditch' Japanese b

Default Last ditch Japanese bayonet?

A friend of the family popped in today with a few bits and pieces he asked me to dispose of for him. Amongst them was a bayonet which I first assumed to possibly be a 'last ditch' Japanese bayonet. The handle certainly looks the same, but the blade is more like a stiletto. Blade length is a shade under 10 inches (250mm) and scabbard is made entirely of leather. Can anyone identify it? Thanks in anticipation. Click on images to enlarge.

Cheers,
    Steve

Last ditch Japanese bayonet?Last ditch Japanese bayonet?Last ditch Japanese bayonet?Last ditch Japanese bayonet?Last ditch Japanese bayonet?Last ditch Japanese bayonet?Last ditch Japanese bayonet?Last ditch Japanese bayonet?

I agree with you... I think it started life as a late WW2 Japanese bayonet. It definitely has been modified, maybe for the Korean War? That symbol almost looks like an Arabic symbol.

It will be interesting to hear other opinions...

Greetings,

These were originally Dutch bayonets. See this thread: Captured Dutch Bayonets Modified by Japanese They are quite rare to find in this condition.

Best,

V/r Lance

Thanks for the information Lance.

Cheers,
    Steve

Quote by 26Intrepid View Post
    ...That symbol almost looks like an Arabic symbol. ...
    Nah, that's kanji.

(造)
    construction
    Dictionary def.: create, make, structure, physique

-- Guy

?

Yes a captured Japanese modified Dutch bayonet. Two variations. Marked and unmarked blade

?

Your bayonet was more than likely modified by the Southern Expeditionary Army Field Arsenal 南方軍野戰造兵廠 located at Bandung バンドン. The commanding officer was Major General Ando Shoichi 安藤 正一少将 (27) who appointed on 1943-09-13. As Guy has already pointed out, the encircled kanji character 造 stands for arsenal 造兵廠.

Thanks for all the information, it is greatly appreciated. I will be selling this on behalf of an old family friend. I first saw it about 10 years ago when his father shown it to me shortly before he died. I know it is against forum rules to talk values on here, but if anyone could PM me with advice of who to contact for disposal it would be greatly appreciated. I went to get my friend the best possible price.

Cheers,
    Steve