Ratisbon's - Top
Display your banner here

Mon (?) on kyu-gunto--What does it represent?

Article about: Friends, yesterday II was shown a nice kyu-gunto that walked into local antique store. Sword is in great shape, cursory exam makes me believe it is a family blade but we were unable to remov

Default Mon (?) on kyu-gunto--What does it represent?

Friends, yesterday II was shown a nice kyu-gunto that walked into local antique store. Sword is in great shape, cursory exam makes me believe it is a family blade but we were unable to remove the handle to check the tang. The pictured "mon" is integral to the hilt and not applied like all others that I have seen.

Any help in identifying the symbol would be most appreciated.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Mon (?) on kyu-gunto--What does it represent?  

That is a family crest depicting Japanese Bracken Fern Sprouts. The Mon is called 石持ち地抜き三本蕨紋 Gokumochi-Jinuki-Sanbon-Warabi. However, as I always say, it is not possible to name the family just with that.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Mon (?) on kyu-gunto--What does it represent?  
    Attached Images Attached Images Mon (?) on kyu-gunto--What does it represent? 

Thank you very much!