Combat-relics.com - Top
Display your banner here

My first Japanese flag

Article about: First time posting on this sub-forum! I recently picked up this flag at an auction. I don’t know the backstory to it, unfortunately, but what is the best way to preserve these flags? Right

Default My first Japanese flag

My first Japanese flag

First time posting on this sub-forum! I recently picked up this flag at an auction. I don’t know the backstory to it, unfortunately, but what is the best way to preserve these flags? Right now it’s tucked away in a drawer with my German flag. Should I get a special container for them?

First, check with a black light whether it's wartime. It is not the national flag of Japan as the ratio is not the so-called silver ratio. Such square little flags are used attached to sticks for waving at sporting events、etc.

?

is this the same type that was hung from there weapon charging into battle?

No, this is purely civilian for parades, etc.

Out of curiosity, could you explain the black light test? I have hearad about using black lights for the back of US patches, but not for flags.

Black light will make any fluorescence in postwar fabrics and paper glow. Postwar fabrics, detergents and paper uses whitening agents and this is what glows. The fake Hitler diaries also failed this test, if I remember correctly. However, I never had a chance to test postwar silk and do not know whether fluorescence is added in silk. Modern paper, though it may be artificially aged with tea and coffee will still glow like hell under black light. If you wash a wartime shirt with Supermarket detergent, they will newly acquire a glow, so washing can spoil the game.

Thank you. It is the same concept I had heard for specific items, but I didn't realize it was as widespread. I apprecite it.