Steyer Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Mysterious documentation

Article about: Dear Forumites, you know from my previous thread that I have a shin-gunto Type 98 officer's katana. I have been going through a lot of effort to address the few shortcomings of that war reli

Not much more .... Andonea Rotas

Reference code
    S-0800-0004-0004-00022

Title
    [Greece] There are thousands of children like thirteen-year-old Andonea in Greece.
    Date(s)

1945-01-01 - 1948-12-31 (Creation)
    UNRRA / 1351

"Her mother was killed by a stray bullet, and she lost sight of her father during the occupation. With her little brother, Alkis, she lived with her grandmother, contributing to the meagre family purse by begging, until picked up by the police and put in the Beggars' Asylum at Kaissariani, on the outskirts of Athens. Photo by Mr. Carter. No. 3."

======
    UNRRA / 5060

"Living with their grandmother in Athens, they were forced to beg in order to get enough money to eat. Picked up by the police, they were placed in the Beggars Asylum, Kaissariani, on the outskirts of Athens. Here they get sufficient [food] to eat, dur [i.e. due] to UNRRA rations, but as yet they have had no opportunity of going to school or of living under decent conditions. They are seen here with Mrs. Vivian Fletcher, writer from Washington, D.C. (ERO)."
    ====

UNRRA
    UNRRA was established by agreement of 44 nations on 9 November 1943; operations came to an end in the latter part of 1946, with the last staff appointment terminating 31 March 1949. The purpose of UNRRA was to "plan, co-ordinate, administer or arrange for the administration of measures for the relief of victims of war in any area under the control of any of the United Nations through the provision of food, fuel, clothing, shelter and other basic necessities, medical and other essential services"

United Nations Relief and Rehabilitation Administration

Thanks Ghp! You'll agree the nice thing about this is that the document and the sword are contemporaries, or near-contemporaries in case the magazine was published directly post-war. And the document has introduced a human aspect in the case study of the Rotas children that was brought to light.
    I wonder if it is possible to ever find out which magazine carried that story? Because then one could get a date of issue. But again, these facts do not really help in any way to establish provenance.
    Just yesterday Fred (the guy who sold me the sword) told me he managed to contact the previous owner, who said he got the sword from his late father, who in turn purchased it from an antique dealer in Cape Town in the 1960's. Fred recalled the blade was covered in grease when he got it. Fact is, someone along the line decided to buff the blade - perhaps even the same one who put it in grease afterwards!
    Jan.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2