MilitaryHarbor - Top
Display your banner here

Named Japanese dog tag to an enlisted soldier????

Article about: Hello, Could someone help ID this dog tag a friend of mine just bought???? I think this could be a name on the back of it, like in this post here: https://www.warrelics.eu/forum/japan...kina

?

Default Named Japanese dog tag to an enlisted soldier????

Hello,
    Could someone help ID this dog tag a friend of mine just bought????
    I think this could be a name on the back of it, like in this post here:

Identified Japanese Dog Tag from Okinawa

The unit is a little bit distorted from corrosion… looks like HQ company though… maybe with the name it’s possible to find out the unit… or do some research on the guy himself???? Maybe online on casualty lists or JACAR maybe????

Sorry, I know it’s a lot to ask for, thanks already.
    - Ben
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Named Japanese dog tag to an enlisted soldier????   Named Japanese dog tag to an enlisted soldier????  

The name is Asada. When you applied powder to fill in the lines, the two " marks were left unmarked and the third katakana looks like タ [ta]. If you look closely you'll see the katakana is ダ [da].

Named Japanese dog tag to an enlisted soldier????

アサダ
    Asada

There are a few kanji Asada surnames:
    浅田 425th most common Japanese surname
    麻田 3387th most common Japanese surname
    朝田 2409th most common Japanese surname
    阿佐田 very uncommon

name source

?

Guy,
    Thank you so much, yes you are Right the seller put the white stuff not all the way into every part of the lettering looking at the tag again I see it too… so sadly only his last name „asada“ is on the tag… wish he would have just wrote his name out completely… but it’s still neat to have a little more info on him.

- Ben

The other side reads 53rd Independent Combat Engineer Regiment, but the problem is that there was no 53rd regiment, only the 52nd, coming after the 43rd. Otherwise there were no independent engineer regiments in the 50s range. So what looks like a 3 can only be a 2.

Quote by nick komiya View Post
    The other side reads 53rd Independent Combat Engineer Regiment,......
    Ah! I was wondering at that first kanji with the "animal" radical : "Independent" 独立 [dokuritsu].

独工

-- Guy

?

Nick, thats interesting... so corrosion made it look like a 3???? it also could have been a 5 if you would ask me (just from looks alone)... but if you say only the 52th independent combat engineers existed i guess thats exactly what it is.

Guy, thanks for your breakdowns and inclusions of the japanese kanji and katakana symbols, that always adds another layer to these threads... and if i print out the meaning its nice to be able to copy paste the symbols... i would not be able to do that otherwise.

thanks for your replies, i appreciate it.

- Ben