Virtual Grenadier - Top
Display your banner here

Nco gunto japanese sword

Article about: Hello, I have this lovely sword which is an early copper handle one with low numbers etc. Everything seems to be in order, but I'm unsure about the screw. Could it have been added to help wi

Default Nco gunto japanese sword

Hello,

I have this lovely sword which is an early copper handle one with low numbers etc. Everything seems to be in order, but I'm unsure about the screw. Could it have been added to help with looseness or is their something wrong with the sword.

Thanks for looking

Regards

Luke
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Nco gunto japanese sword   Nco gunto japanese sword  

Nco gunto japanese sword   Nco gunto japanese sword  

That’s a very nice early sword! I’ve never seen one with a screw... looks like somebody tried to get creative. I believe the screw was added in the later models.

I’m sure you’ll get a lot of feedback on this one... those early swords can be pricey. Nice find (With or without the screw! But preferably without...)

I've seen a few like it. The real experts on these "Shamsy" at NMB and "Stegel" both here and NMB, say it is likely a factory repair or add-on. Doesn't seem to fit into a particular numbers-group.

Stegel should see this and comment.

Thank you for the help. Look forward to hear their thoughts also

Regards

Luke

Luke,
    Here's what Shamsy said on an NMB discussion HERE: Copper Handle Nco - Military Swords of Japan - Nihonto Message Board
    "Having said all that, there are examples of copper handles (one genuine, one maybe) with two screws. Probably arsenal refittings. Always an exception with 95s! I don't have a pictures on me (and may not have them saved at all), but I'll post if I can find.

Here it is!
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Nco gunto japanese sword  

Thanks,

Looks like mines OK then. Repaired at some point
    or sorted at factory then

Luke

?

A lovely example. If you read through Nick's thread on the development of the 95, you'll see that a fair few of the changes to copper handles were to save materials and create a more robust sword. The addition of a second retaining screw in the handle for an existing sword is not at all beyond belief.

Admittedly it would be ideal to have an example with the original single screw configuration, but it'd also be ideal to have an intact leather sarute, and good luck with that!

A good sword, be happy with it.

That's fantastic to know. Thank you all for the help and information on it.

Be safe all.

Regards

Luke

Quote by Shamsy View Post

Admittedly it would be ideal to have an example with the original single screw configuration,
    Steve, I'm not sure what you mean. Aren't all of them "single" except for the few with the second screw?

I re-read the post in Nick's discussion that mentioned the "mekugi screw" but it was referring a mod of the existing screw in aluminum handles.

It's my opinion that the second screw in the coppers had more to do with tightening up loose-fitting handles. They are all in exactly the same place. With the original only being secured at the far end at the sarute barrel screw, I feel like the tsuka would have had the ability to develop a wiggle/looseness at the tsuba end of the tsuka. A second screw would have eliminated the wiggle. But that's just my idea about the issue.