Espenlaub Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Need help pilot dirk

Article about: Need help please on this Pilot Dirk unsigned.supposed to be authentic. Thanks

?

Default Need help pilot dirk

Need help please on this Pilot Dirk unsigned.supposed to be authentic.
    Thanks
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Need help pilot dirk  
    Attached Images Attached Images Need help pilot dirk 

Well ... it's an authentic Japanese tanto in plain wooden mounts. No telling who used it -- pilot, tanker, taxi driver, rickshaw puller ... (^_^)

But it is a real tanto, that's for certain.

-- Guy

?

Yes . That’s right unfortunately.thank you

?

Its not a tanto, but just a knife.

Quote by Gunto View Post
    Its not a tanto, but just a knife.
    ????

Tanto blade in a plain wooden fittings. Did I miss something?

It looks like a cut-down blade.

-- Guy

?

Tanto , aikuchi, Hamidashi and kwaiken is all koshirae styles.

?

Looking at the blade shape, and lack of a shinogi I would say it was made as a short blade as opposed to cut down. Nothing wrong with it, but nothing that identifies it as a "pilots knife" as opposed to just a short blade in shirasaya, modified for carry and use. Something that is not a rarity for WW2, or on dealers tables. Something I would buy myself, except they are always overpriced and sold as Kamikaze Kwaiken

Here is a picture of some pilots holding them, from Ohmura's site. I know there is a thorough discussion of this on this forum. If I can find it, I'll post the link.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Need help pilot dirk   Need help pilot dirk  

?

Wonder what she flies
    Need help pilot dirk
    It is a Japanese knife. And it's cool, historical and worth collecting. Without something more to go on I wouldn't say it belonged to anyone.
    I do recall in reading Onoda Hiro's book that his mother gave him such a knife to take when he departed for war. So I'm sure many of these were carried and used by many Japanese soldiers and sailors.

?

One of the Japanese ladies on a Kimono collectors site I belong to, stated that Bushi women were expected to carry a kwaiken, and that there was an Obi tie specifically made to hide them.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast