Marna Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

Officer's document case - kanji string

Article about: Got this with the Hoko Bukoro. Nice design. The censor stamp is on some Tokyo municipal notepaper! Interesting? The writing is under the flap that closes on the brass studs. Does it say anyt

Default Officer's document case - kanji string

Got this with the Hoko Bukoro. Nice design. The censor stamp is on some Tokyo municipal notepaper! Interesting? The writing is under the flap that closes on the brass studs. Does it say anything interesting (can't get it to rotate, sorry)?
    Cheers,
    Tony
    Officer's document case - kanji stringOfficer's document case - kanji stringOfficer's document case - kanji stringOfficer's document case - kanji stringOfficer's document case - kanji stringOfficer's document case - kanji string

Belonged to Cpl. Furutani.

長谷川部隊
    Hasegawa Butai
    Hasegawa Battalion

横田中隊
    Yokota Chuutai
    Yokota Company

古谷*伍長
    Furutani [?] Gochou
    CPL Furutani

—Guy

Thanks for that Guy, more interesting than I was expecting!

Any idea how difficult it is to research a unit like this?

Cheers,
    Tony

Quote by bestmsdt View Post
    Thanks for that Guy, more interesting than I was expecting!

Any idea how difficult it is to research a unit like this?

Cheers,
    Tony
    Found these:

五十七兵站長谷川部隊慰霊碑
    57th Supply Trains Hasegawa Butai Memorial Stone. Hmmmmm .... the memorial is located on a Navy base. There's a translation at the bottom of the page:
    MONUMENT
    TO THE MEMORY OF OUR COMRADES WHOM PRAY
    TO SLEEP FOR EVER PEACEFULLY
    ON THE SEASHORE OF PALAU
    IN THE SOUTH SEA
    A.D.1966
    JAPAN THE PALAU-KAI
    THE SAKURA-KAI
    Google Books image. The image on the right of the page identifies this as Hasegawa Butai during the China Incident: 支那事変画報:第 8 集』( 1937 (昭を占領した我が部隊は、同夜 9 時、藍を占領した道盛部隊は長谷川部隊に製のトーチカ陣地を構築、鉄条網をついに国際公法を無視して笹源性 皇軍入城によって春たち帰った露化説)中国が国際公法を無ます。それを反日工作員になっなどと虚言を撤き散 らしていま 『アサヒグラフ」

This page (keyword search 長谷川部隊):
    Quote by GoogleTranslate
    [Occupation of the main point in the vicinity of the Great Wall] Thus, since September 24th, each unit of Awa Iihara, Oba, Yamada and Nagano eventually occupied Daejeon, sweeping near the flat type Sekiguchi as the right wing base of enemy places However, both Goto and Inokukakura troops, who also advanced to the prefecture on Sunday, the West Bank, Shimokitazaki Northern, advanced to the Tsunoda and advanced to the south downhill and occupied the massacre. The Hasegawa troops suddenly arrived from the northern side suddenly, like Shinkin Shimpo, attacked the Shuozhuang that is the headquarters of the enemy cavalry army on the 8th, and advanced to Yu Wu, in response to the friendly army advancing from the eastern part of the day finally The Hasegawa unit had reached to occupy Shaku. Thus, enemy places in our area are now completely surrounded by their wings for the sake of our army, and enemy places of east and west ri in the end will be separated by the end of the preceding stretch, and their disintegration will be decisive as soon as possible It came to be. The enemy in this direction was about 80,000.

At the end of the evening, at the end of the afternoon at 6:00 p.m. Was occupied by the hands of the Hasegawa unit, and at 9 p.m. the same day Goto and Inokukura troops moved westward one step further from the shrine, finally occupying the provincial state, finally reaching here The 800,000 enemy coalition forces based on the northern part of the Shanxi western part of the Shanxi Province also reached a point where we can no longer stop total retreats to the southeastern part for now because of our army demonstrating the strange but bravely brave, is there. As occasion arises, the occupation of the castle of the trading city in the nineteenth century, Mr. Yanxi attributed the three-year monthly moon and the three-year old monthly base casting the construction cost of one hundred and several million yuan to the utterly indefinite, the main resistance to the north of the Shanxi army The line is fragile but it is destroyed.
    The Hasegawa unit, who quickly proceeded to destroy the enemies who later destroyed Nada Hara's castle, occupied the clearing source of Taiyuan Minami Yori as early as the midday of 9th, while Morimoto troops of the Shinta Line westward army pursued from Eri , Occupying the prefecture of Yuzu 3 yuan Southern India in the same afternoon and immediately destroying the enemy towards the upper Yellow River Yellow River of the same Kamigawa line as soon as the fall of Taiyahara, Shanxi is totally under our sword It has been.

The only Google hits I get for 横田中隊 ... is this post with the photos of your map case!

--Guy
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Officer's document case - kanji string  

Also, I guess we need the given name of the Hasegawa battalion commander to narrow down the possibilities. Hasegawa is not an uncommon surname ... however, I'll wager there are more than a few who were "butai" commanders during the war ... in all branches of the military.

--Guy

Thanks a lot for that Guy. I need to work in kanji - haha! I do like them actually. When I retire soon I hope I will have time to build up more knowledge. At least I know how to count the strokes, which is a start!!!
    Cheers,
    Tony

Quote by bestmsdt View Post
    Thanks a lot for that Guy. I need to work in kanji - haha! I do like them actually. When I retire soon I hope I will have time to build up more knowledge. At least I know how to count the strokes, which is a start!!!
    Cheers,
    Tony
    If you know how to count strokes, you can look up most kanji by finding the radical. Kanji by Radical. Then, you select other "radicals" that are part of a kanji -- the results narrows down the possibilities of kanji to choose from. Knowing the number of strokes will let you find the kanji (I give myself +/- two strokes for incorrect stroke-counting).

--Guy