Ratisbon's - Top
Display your banner here

Opinions about a rain coat

Article about: Hello Everyone, Now I will apologize up front, as these are the only two photos I have, but I was hoping to get some opinions and insight on what I believe to be a rain coat. I thought I hea

?

Default Opinions about a rain coat

Hello Everyone,
    Now I will apologize up front, as these are the only two photos I have, but I was hoping to get some opinions and insight on what I believe to be a rain coat. I thought I heard somewhere that this style might be for nurses. But unfortunately I can’t remember where I read that. Has anyone seen this style of coat before? Is it just a civilian jacket probably modified post war with the addition of a belt which is now missing. I appreciate all your opinions and insight on this. Thanks in advance.
    Vic
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Opinions about a rain coat   Opinions about a rain coat  

This is how an army raincoat was made up. Even a nurse's coat would have army markings on it. No markings means civilian.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Opinions about a rain coat  

As shown in the photo below and the illustrations above, army raincoats had the markings placed on the inner side between button holes. The stamp to the left reveals this coat was made by inmates at the Nagoya Penitentiary.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Opinions about a rain coat  

?

Nick,
    Thank you very much for your input and photos. I thought it was civilian because of the lack no markings, but was unsure about female related items. You confirmed it and I appreciate the help very much. If I had to make an educated guess I would assume the belt was probably added post war to make it more fashionable. Thanks again.

Buttons are on the wrong side for women.

?

Another great point, I hadn’t noticed that initially.

?

Can be a officer rain coat a see many, probably your is make more short for civil use after war, that rain coat was a private purchase and not have military stamp but a label empty for put the officer name, like private one can be with hood

An officer's coat would not be lower quality than that of EM coats. See the center horizontal seam at front? EM coats had that seam in the back to save material, but not in front. Such low quality construction can only be civilian.

?

you are right by checking in my collection, the officers' ones follow the same design as their coats, with double row of buttons, opening for the sword and back belt band