Ratisbon's - Top
Display your banner here

Order of the Rising Sun 3rd Class Authentication/Question

Article about: Howdy y'all, I've had this Order of the Rising Sun 3rd Class for a year now, but I recently started questioning its authenticity when I was comparing it to others that people own. My first q

Unhappy Order of the Rising Sun 3rd Class Authentication/Question

Howdy y'all,

I've had this Order of the Rising Sun 3rd Class for a year now, but I recently started questioning its authenticity when I was comparing it to others that people own.

My first question is if its authentic.

My second question is if its World War 2 era or pre-war since thats what the guy told me when I bought it.

My third question is if it was worth $700. It sadly came with the 8th class rosette and not the 3rd class so I'm pretty sure the answer to this will leave me bummed.

- Evan
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Order of the Rising Sun 3rd Class Authentication/Question   Order of the Rising Sun 3rd Class Authentication/Question  

Order of the Rising Sun 3rd Class Authentication/Question   Order of the Rising Sun 3rd Class Authentication/Question  

Order of the Rising Sun 3rd Class Authentication/Question  

?

Howdy )

1) Yes.

2) Such a possibility exists but no guarantees since such cases with "straight" style of inscription in gold were in use for a very short time during late 1930s /approx. 1938-1940/ and then were used only after the end of war. Classical WW2 era 3rd class rising sun order inside the case with silver kanji 3rd class Rising Sun order awarded in 1940 to Kazunari Funabashi | Medals of Asia Regarding time line for cases with "wartime" silver kanji Silver Kanji vs. Gold Kanji: Lettering on the Lids of the Japanese Order Cases | Medals of Asia

If the badge marked (on the suspension edge) with M mark then chances of WW2 awarding are significantly increased.

3) Overpriced.

Howdy howdy,

Thank you for the information on the silver vs. golden Kanji. I will keep this in mind when expanding my Order of the Rising Sun collection!

Sad to hear it was overpriced, but I was expecting it since I bought it right as I started collecting. I will also post an update if I see an M anywhere.

- Evan