Virtual Grenadier - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Pawn shop find

Article about: Hello all... I had some extra time waiting for my wife to finish shopping... so I went inside a local pawn shop to kill some time. I saw this sword for sale... the handle and fittings look s

Quote by nick komiya View Post
    Toy and replica swords in Japan may not have steel blades and be made instead out of aluminum, zinc, brass or plastic, so if it is magnetic it is no toy allowed in Japan.
    What Nick describes are called in Japan:
    飾り刀 Kazari-tō; decorative sword
    模擬刀 Mogi-tō; simulated sword

Ones with metallic nonferous blades made specifically for iaido are called:
    居合刀 Iai-tō. These can cost up into the many-hundreds of dollars; I have one that cost $1,500. The high cost reflects high-quality furniture/koshirae; also, you can't tell mine is an iaito from a few feet away. It has a two-toned black/maroon saya and the sword itself has good heft, balance, and the hamon is finished nicer than the "toys." Don't have an image of the blade but here's the koshirae:
    Pawn shop find

-- Guy

Wow... and I was happy to have a Hasbro rubber bayonet when I was a kid
    Last edited by Long Shot; 06-22-2020 at 01:38 AM.

Quote by Long Shot View Post
    Wow... and I was happy to have a Hasro rubber bayonet when I was a kid
    I got one for my 8th birthday in 1960 when we were living at Ft. Riley, Kansas. Man, was that a great birthday present!

For those too young to remember:
    Pawn shop find
    Pawn shop find

-- Guy

Guy, sounds like you have a sound investment. I didn’t think that these swords would be worth as much... yours seems to be valued as much as some WWII swords. This one wasn’t quite as expensive... was asking $100. I would assume the blade in the pawn shop is aluminum (Non-metallic). Also, it has the imitation temper blade look... but I also see that Japanese dress swords have a similar type blades (German dress swords as well).

The handle, to me, looked original... but the other parts didn’t. I don’t know enough about these swords to make an educated decision on a purchase (That’s the reason I come here and ask questions). I don’t even know if the sellers asking price is reasonable? .. I’m curious enough to ask questions.

Thank you everyone for your comments and input!

And... what a birthday present! I see you started early... I wish I would’ve!

Guy,
    You didn't actually take pictures of your birthday present when you were 7, did you?

I don't remember my age, but we, 3 boys, got G.I. fatigues, helmets, and a rifle like the one in your picture for Christmas one year. We were in Heaven!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2