Militaria-Reisig & Antiquitäten - Top
Display your banner here

Is it real and ww2 dated??

Article about: Hey guys, Mike here trying to break into Japanese ww2 items. Learning curve is tremendously nerve racking. I may even be in wrong thread area but saw Japanese in forum list. Gentlemen is ask

Default Is it real and ww2 dated??

Hey guys, Mike here trying to break into Japanese ww2 items. Learning curve is tremendously nerve racking. I may even be in wrong thread area but saw Japanese in forum list. Gentlemen is asking $250 OBO but can’t share authentication technique he used to determine authenticity nor time of use. Please
    Share if you will. Thanking all in advance.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Is it real and ww2 dated??   Is it real and ww2 dated??  

Is it real and ww2 dated??   Is it real and ww2 dated??  

Is it real and ww2 dated??  

Manufactured in Taisho 10 [1921], Named to Ono Yoshitsugu/Yoshiji

大野良次
    Ōno Yoshitsugu

I'm thinking this is unissued and someone has dressed it up. There is no issued date (though manufactured in 1921).

Others who collect and have much more knowledge will give you an assessment as to being issued or not.

-- Guy

The tunic is an original Type 45 (Revised) "改四五式" tunic dated 1921 as Guy pointed out which was later modified with the addition of a roll collar to update it in line with the later Type 98 (1938) tunics which had a roll collar and hip pockets. However, as in this case they usually did not bother with adding hip pockets.
    You can occasionally see tunics of this type in period photos, especially those taken in the continent, although its was more common to see the early stand collared Type 45 and later Type Sho5 (1930) tunics worn with the Type 98 collar rank insignia and without shoulder straps.
    The Type 45 (Revised)uniform was adopted in 1918 and the only difference with the Type 45 uniforms was that they enlarged the size of the garments. It is said that with the arrival of peace and the resultant downsizing of the army, the army could be more picky in selecting recruits which resulted in larger built soldiers so they also enlarged the sizes even to fit the larger soldiers even though they still came in 6 sizes as previously.
    The tunic is named to a Ryoji Ono (大野良治)although as Guy wrote, there is no issue date. However, I don't think that itself would be a deal killer as it is possible that he skiipped writing in the issue date. (It is not uncommon to see Navy garments without an issue date, although I can't say whether that was common for the army; it is actually hard to find an actually issued tunic and all my issued tunics are stored away.)
    However, if you are thinking of buying the tunic, you should definitely ask for a photo of the rear to make sure that the bayonet loop on the left hip about kidney hight is present; in garments which remained unissued and were later put to civilian wear, it is not uncommon to find the bayonet loop removed. Also, you should ask for photos of the shoulder areas with the shoulder straps removed to make sure that the original shoulder strap attachment loops are present; they are made of the same material as the lining material and there should be 2 on each shoulder for the fronts and rears of the shoulder straps. These are also often removed as shoulder straps were no longer worn once the Type 98 collar rank insignia was introduced.
    Last edited by Akira Komiya; 05-02-2024 at 04:44 AM.

MAP, Thank you for sharing and humble in deferring even though your knowledge base is so dependable.
    Akira, thank you for explaining so vividly and with such a warm teaching touch. I will petition for other photos and hopefully get them posted into this thread today. I will look forward to your final findings. I ask also if the $250 is in line once the final findings are in.

Discussion added to Akira-san's Master Index.

Akira,
    Looks like you were right on target with this tunic (it appears from my recent viewing that you are absolutely phenomenal in your knowledge and gracious skill in explaining to forum users.)
    The loops have all been removed and it appears either this tunic was unissued or saw civilian desk work only.Is it real and ww2 dated??Is it real and ww2 dated??Is it real and ww2 dated??
    Thank you, again!!

Yes, unfortunately it appears that the tunic has been modified for civilian use probably after the war so is probably not worth the asking price.

Akira,
    You and the other experts that share your time and knowledge are so appreciated. You not only save your less knowledgeable collector friends money, but you teach us to stand and walk on our own in this treacherous world of collecting. I thank you.

I am glad if was of any service to you.
    Good luck with your collecting!