Griffin Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

Real WWII Japanese Katana?

Article about: I don't know if this sword is handmade or machine made or if it is a type 95 or 94. Wondering if you guys could give it a shot for me. Thanks

hpcocacola
    ?

Default Real WWII Japanese Katana?

I don't know if this sword is handmade or machine made or if it is a type 95 or 94. Wondering if you guys could give it a shot for me. Thanks
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Real WWII Japanese Katana?   Real WWII Japanese Katana?  

Real WWII Japanese Katana?   Real WWII Japanese Katana?  

?

Default Re: Real WWII Japanese Katana?

If you take the handle off that will help. If its handmade it will be signed .Hope this helps Gary

?

Hi hpcocacola , and welcome to the forum , i hope you enjoy it here ! That is a great looking sword you have there . The tsuka ( handle or grip ) and tsuba ( crossguard ) are typical shin gunto ( army ) mounts and have a lovely deep patination . The tsuba looks to be a "top end " cut through example and is super ! The scabbard also looks very nice ! The blade is more difficult to call and better photos from other angles would help , but my gut feeling is that it could be a older " family " blade ( as i think i can see a feint outline of boshi , or tempered line ) fitted to shin gunto mounts ! Can you take some photos of the Tang of the blade ? It is a very nice original ,

cheers Al

hpcocacola
    ?

yeah ill try, yeah the tsuka is cool especially with the Flower Button Release from the saya, it also seems as if it is real rayskin as well.

ill take some more pictures and put them up in a bit. I have a few other newly made katanas but this is my only relic haha. Seems to be handmade. Also but how do i take the blade out of the tsuka and tsuba, it is old and i dont want to damage it at all.

?

my advice is don`t fiddle with things if you think damage is going to occur ! but if you feel you need to take it apart , you need to remove the bamboo " dowel " that goes through the tsuka and the tang of the blade by getting a similar size piece of wood and gently knocking the peg through , then gently remove the tsuka ...........Al

hpcocacola
    ?

i dont think damage will occur, i just dont wanna mess it up myself haha

yeah i have a sword maintenance kit, with rice cloth, oil, lil' hammer, and other stuff, so ill try to disassemble

It is not unusual for the brass hammer and pin are not strong enough to remove a handle pin that has never been taken out. I find a regular hammer and a nail set to be very reliable. As a side note, signed war time blades do not automatically indicate the blade to be hand made. Many oil tempered and machine made blades are signed by anonymous factory workers from the arsenal.
    BOB

LIFE'S LOSERS NEVER LEARN FROM THE ERROR OF THEIR WAYS.