Steyer Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

Reproduction Japanese Helmet Covers

Article about: I was reading old threads on Japanese helmet covers and there was at least one mention of repro helmet covers being made out of Japanese Army uniforms/rain coats. The reply to the thread see

Default Reproduction Japanese Helmet Covers

I was reading old threads on Japanese helmet covers and there was at least one mention of repro helmet covers being made out of Japanese Army uniforms/rain coats. The reply to the thread seemed to indicate these reproductions are difficult to spot from the outside/on a helmet. I have tried to find an example, but I have been unable to locate one on the internet. So I wanted to ask if anyone had any photos of one of these reproductions and/or what are the tells of these. Thanks ABN

Here's a misc. mix of photos of fakes for you from more than 10 years ago, just to give you an idea of what you'll be dealing with. Recent ones should be even better than these.

Original spec sheets exist that give all details of the threads to use, stitch count per cm for each seam, etc, etc. So all info is out there to make perfect ones. Most of the times I can tell by the fonts used in the markings, but doing black light checks on the rear side will be important, because having blue prints is one thing, but getting wartime quality material is not so easy.

Ask here in advance before buying, because it's a mine field.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Reproduction Japanese Helmet Covers   Reproduction Japanese Helmet Covers  

Reproduction Japanese Helmet Covers   Reproduction Japanese Helmet Covers  

?

The ones you refer to about being made from raincoats etc will often show stitching holes in lines on the outside of the cover in random places, indicating that stitching has been removed from the item the cover was made from.

Thank you