Militaria Romandie - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Service Book - 2nd pattern (1878 to 1887)

Article about: During the Covid lockdowns, I purchased some IJA Service Books from Japan. Have just started looking at this one in more detail. Looking at Nick's article on these books, this one is the sec

Some additional observations in addition to the input by others:
    The holder of the pass was born Ohara Hikosaburo (小原彦三郎) but married into the Tanaka family by marrying Kiku (キク, literally chrysanthemum)a daughter of Yosaburo Tanaka (田中与三郎) and became the head of the Tanaka household upon the death of Yosaburo.
    Under the old civil code that was in effect until 1947, only the eldest son had the right of inheritance of the household's fortunes so families without sons either adopted a boy or, as in this case, if they had a daughter, had their daughter get a groom who would marry into the family and adopt the bride's family name.
    The entry for the award of the Russo Japanese War Campaign Medal is not in error as the man was called up as a reservist in the 1st Company of the 1st National Service Infantry Battalion (国民歩兵第一大隊) in January 1905 and landed on 鎮南浦(Jinnampo)in what is now North Korea on March 2, 1905. (The 6th photo or the photo on the right hand side of the 3rd row depending on the media you are viewing the thread) So, there should be a separate entry for the Sino Japanese War Campaign Medal somewhere else in the pass.
    Trying to decipher these passes is a nightmare even for a native Japanese speaker like myself so I would stop at this. (In fact, Guy and Steve are doing a much better job than I could.)

Thank you very much, Akira, for the additional information. I didn't think a mistake was very plausible for the date on the medal, and you have cleared that up with finding his additional active service in Korea.
    Your brother detailed how these early booklets are like a family genealogical record, so the information about him marrying into the Tanaka family is fascinating.
    I appreciate the difficulties of deciphering these documents, and asking others to devote their time to help, but am very grateful as this booklet has revealed some great details about early IJA history.
    Thanks everyone for your help.
    Cheers,
    Tony

Just to clarify, Mr. Tanaka's service in the war was not necessarily limited to Korea during the Russo Japanese War; Jinnampo was just the port of entry and further details of his service in the war should appear in the next page.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2