Griffin Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 23 of 35 FirstFirst ... 13 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 33 ... LastLast

Short Development History of Type 95 Gunto

Article about: I do not collect edged weapons, but used to regard ground blades on bayonets and sabers as mostly post war mutilation, at least from the point of view of a collector. But ever since getting

No, according to documents, the Sayas of the Type 32 were converted into Type 95 clone Sayas by changing curvature, etc. The only thing not reusable was the wood inlay inside, which they remade due to different width of the scabbard.

It's amazing what those craftsmen could do!

They obviously did some re-work on the nakago, too. The bolt could easily have been removed. Wonder if they reshaped the nakago or if the curve was slight enough to take a standard tsuka. After seeing that bent nakago of mine, I'm betting they fit without re-shaping.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Short Development History of Type 95 Gunto  

?

I really hope we can find an example, as I have so many questions, some of which you mention above, Bruce.

?

Default Pattern 8 Type 95 Military Sword

Quote by stegel View Post
    The pattern 7 and pattern 8 Type 95's only have the ヘ on the blade and some scabbard parts, no category stamps at all.
    Jinsen Army Arsenal began Type 95 Military Sword production in April 1945 and was scheduled to produce 100 swords that month. In June 1945, the Jinsen Army Arsenal 仁川陸軍造兵廠 was removed from the control of Army Ordnance Administration Headquarters 陸軍兵器行政本部 in Tōkyō and was transferred to the Japanese Korean Army 朝鮮軍. I am unaware of any name changes that took place to the arsenal, unlike Nan-Man, other than the oversight. Back in the home islands starting in late June or July 1945, the Japanese army stopped applying final inspection marks altogether and in some cases even stopped stopped serializing weapons. As many parts already had factory inspection marks, they continued to be found on later production, just lacking the arsenal final inspection mark. As Jinsen was no longer a part of the homeland arsenal system, it is unknown if this applied to them as well.

Some of these Jinsen pattern 8 swords, the ito-wrapped version, show up with officer's tassels along with leather combat covers on the scabbards. I seem to remember one that was brought back from Okinawa as well. However, that sword was for sale and one knows how that can go. "Buy the sword, not the story." These pattern 8 swords have a production serial number on the nakago, at least two that I am aware of so far. And finally, they seem to display more inspection marks than the pattern 7 swords, the wood hilt with carved rings. And it is this final observation that brings me to wonder why they are listed as patterns 8s when I would think that a sword that displays more inspection marks would predate a pattern 7 sword with fewer inspection marks?

As always, any comments, corrections, or productive criticism welcomed.

The reference to Type 95 Sword patterns can be found at this 2017 post.
    Nagoya Type 95 Ver 3 Woohoo! - Military Swords of Japan - Nihonto Message Board

A typical example of a pattern 8 sword with tassel.
    Japanese wwll army officer's type 95 nco sword, late war model, tassel

An illustration of the nakago production number.
    Questions about "late war", NCO swords - Military Swords of Japan - Nihonto Message Board

A pattern 7 with only one inspection mark.
    Wooden Handled Type 95's - Military Swords of Japan - Nihonto Message Board
    Last edited by Kiipu; 08-18-2020 at 12:08 AM.

?

In answer to the previous post by Kiipu,

These pattern 8 swords have a production serial number on the nakago, at least two that I am aware of so far.
    Kiipu, i have never taken these apart, my concern is with the ito covering the mounting screws, and my not wanting to damage the ito. As far as serial numbers on the nakago go, Bruce W's is the only one i have ever seen. I wasn't aware of that fact,until then and i have never seen any other.

And finally, they seem to display more inspection marks than the pattern 7 swords, the wood hilt with carved rings.
    I have to disagree here, i would say both patterns have the same amount of markings present.
    After seeing your post i went to check my swords, i found the 'He' stamp on the fuchi, tsuba, top of scabbard, the drag, along with the blade of course. Sample i had was three of each pattern.

And it is this final observation that brings me to wonder why they are listed as patterns 8s when I would think that a sword that displays more inspection marks would predate a pattern 7 sword with fewer inspection marks?
    I gave an answer to Bruce W from the NMB Forum, where i explained my reasoning and logic as to why i believe pattern 7 precedes pattern 8 from a production point of view. It's in one of the links you provided... page 2, post #37
    My responses are in red text, the black text was his posted comments and questions.
    It's in this same post where i provided an info-graphic on the Type 95 showing the 8 patterns as i think they should be categorized.

Questions about "late war", NCO swords - Page 2 - Post#37 - Military Swords of Japan - Nihonto Message Board

A typical example of a pattern 8 sword with tassel.
    Japanese wwll army officer's type 95 nco sword, late war model, tassel
    Ok, an old ebay sale by Showa22, I have come across 25 examples of a pattern 8 (with ito wrap) - only 2 have had tassels, both company grade all others had no tassel present. I personally wouldn't call this typical.

Remember, dealers have been known to 'remove' parts/accessories and dissassemble swords for selling purposes, they can also add them to enhance. This guy has been caught out in the past, doing major mods to his stock, and i see he has slowly started selling Type 95's again of late. See about him here: Showa22 At It Again! - page 3, post #72 I also have PROOF of all of this activity.
    The one other pattern 8 which had a tassel, also had a serial number on the blade which was in the very early Pattern 6 range, a true 'anomaly' if you like. After consideration, i believe this to be a field repair which involved a Tsuka replacement. This range of serial numbers contains the cross over from Pattern5 to Pattern6, pattern5 tsuka with steel scabbards.
    Of the 13 pattern 7's i have come across, none had tassels.
    I have a pattern 7 with the remains of a tassel only, the actual fringe had been cut off, but i can't say it is legit as the pattern is most unusual. The size of the strap is a perfect match to the normal shin gunto tassel, so unless shoe laces came in that size, it should not be an old shoe lace which has been added!, but most likely added IMO.
    Another i have has a funny yellow string with what looks like a tiny 'chinese' tassel.(no pic)
    here's a photo of the first:
    Short Development History of Type 95 Gunto Short Development History of Type 95 Gunto

My 1-cents-worth on the tassels - NCOs going through officer candidate school were allowed to put officer tassels on their swords, which could explain those.

?

While we're still talking tassels, if you go to ohmura's page or check the info -graphic i made, you will notice what appears to be the correct leather tassel for the pattern 6. (It has a barrel knot which is frayed).

If anything, i would expect this tassel to be the correct tassel for the next two patterns (7 & 8). Apart from seeing it on Ohmura's site, i have only ever seen one before, and was unable to secure a purchase on it at the time.

I know regulations were strictly adhered to by the IJA/IJN and the supply chain , perhaps it is the Jinsen version of the Tassel? especially if
    In June 1945, the Jinsen Army Arsenal 仁川陸軍造兵廠 was removed from the control of Army Ordnance Administration Headquarters 陸軍兵器行政本部 in Tōkyō and was transferred to the Japanese Korean Army 朝鮮軍.

?

Quote by stegel View Post
    While we're still talking tassels, if you go to Ohmura's page or check the info-graphic I made, you will notice what appears to be the correct leather tassel for the pattern 6. (It has a barrel knot which is frayed).
    Stepping aside, I found what you are referring to. I do not remember noticing this detail before. It is depicted on the last sword.
    昭和10年制定陸軍九五式軍刀 Non-commissioned officers Gunto 1935/title>

I did notice that he depicts what I think is a very early NCO knot with a round cord.
    九五式軍刀・鞘周り細部 Type 95 Scabbard-related details

?

The knot with the round cord is from the US Model 1902 sword, it is not Japanese.
    I'll try to find the reference to this for you, but i think Gunboards is a good starting point.
    The collectors of US swords were adamant on this.

?

I found a reference to the 1902. I suppose it is possible the Japanese captured some in the Philippines and made use of them. But it is not Japanese per se and I wonder if Ohmura san even realizes it or not.

Page 23 of 35 FirstFirst ... 13 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 33 ... LastLast