Espenlaub Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 32 of 35 FirstFirst ... 22 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 LastLast

Short Development History of Type 95 Gunto

Article about: I do not collect edged weapons, but used to regard ground blades on bayonets and sabers as mostly post war mutilation, at least from the point of view of a collector. But ever since getting

Here's the same kind of sheet presented 3 years earlier when the Type 95 was planned to be called the Type 91 Cavalry Sword and Type 91 Walker Sword. Type 91s were also planned with cloth protection for the scabbard. The sheet shown below for the cavalry sword specified khaki brown thick hemp size 2 tape applied to the scabbard in wrap-around leggings fashion. This was before the Type 94 work, so they had not yet developed the bluish brown coloring.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Short Development History of Type 95 Gunto  

?

Quote by nick komiya View Post
    The only other clue I have is the weight. The document below states the weight of accessories as 530 g. I assume that to be the sack and tassel together, but that is awfully heavy for a cloth sack, so the leather belt might be included in that weight as well.
    Thanks for the extra info Nick,
    I made a quick check and found the weights to be : Cover= 75gm and Tassel (with buckle) =42gm, so a total of about 120g. I was surprised as i actually thought it would be a bit heavier than it was.
    Maybe the 'Accessories' also includes the basic belt? i do not have one so could not get a weight for it.

Trystan, yours appears to be a moulded fit type of cover, i've seen similar on the Type100/Type 3/Rinji officers swords.
    Perhaps they began to alter the bag to make it a better fit not long after this, and yours is one of the early examples.

?

The following observations were derived from the Nagoya Arsenal Type 95 monthly production records and then working backwards from the high serial number of 218821. I would like to give thanks to Stegel for providing the high serial number, making it possible to work backwards with the production records. However, the conclusions drawn are mine and subject to change upon further information coming to light.
    • March/April 1944: The 200,000 serial number range started. The 200,000 range started with the 名 inspection mark and the lowest recorded serial number is 名200437 and the highest is 名204877.
    • April/May 1944: The 関 [Seki] inspection mark was introduced. The lowest reported serial number is 関201505.
    • May to July 1944: The wood grip completely replaces the aluminium grip starting with 関202817.
    Last edited by Kiipu; 04-21-2021 at 08:54 PM.

Checking the Type 95 Swords for Serviceability

Periodic inspections of all weapons were carried out regularly at company level. And as they involved quite a number to be inspected at one time, detailed check procedures were virtually choreographed in the form of manuals in order to minimize the time spent, while maximizing discovery of any deficiencies.

Shown below are the Type 95 pages from the Weapons Inspection Manual printed in August 1943.

It explains how the swords were to be lined up on a table 10cm apart with the screw at the mouth of the scabbard facing up, with all swords having the grips aligned. Like a manual for a magic trick, it further describes the movement of each hand through the whole inspection process.

Criteria for serviceability of the blade was that the blade length of 678mm should not be reduced by more than 20mm, and for a length of 450mm from the tip, the blade width of 28.6mm must not be worn down more than 3mm, nor should the 6mm thick ridge be reduced by more than 1mm. Examples not within these limits were not suitable for further service and were scrapped.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Short Development History of Type 95 Gunto  

?

A wartime picture of a Type 95 with an iron tsuba can be seen at the link below.
    Pilot Sword, Post #39

Nice photo of a tankman.

Those who wish to do properly dated visual research will find the material they need here. Visual Research Resources on Japan in WW2

?

I ran across this picture and it seems to show a 陸軍少尉 [second lieutenant] in the 2nd Guards Regiment(?) holding a sword with an iron handguard (tsuba). The picture would date from 1940 or afterwards based upon this style of tsuba. It can thus only be either a Contingency Type 100 or a Type 95. Does anyone have an opinion one way or the other?
    旧日本陸軍の魂「九八式軍刀」

Adding the picture here, in case the webpage goes dead in years to come.

That's a tough one! There does seem to be the hint of a bohi at the habaki. But I'm leaning toward Rinji seishiki: There seems to be a shadow off the cupped edge of a dust-cover seppa. The light is coming left to right, and a flat seppa shouldn't cast a shadow, but this one does. Also, the tassel seems to be looped over the sarute, whereas an NCO leather tassel isn't normally looped.

My HOWEVER comes with the kabutogane. Rinji Seishiki normally (yes, there are exceptions) don't use sarute. This one seems to have one. And the kabutogane appears to have the bottom edge of a standard 98 (or 95). Honestly, the kabutogane looks more like a 98, but that's ruled out by the tsuba. So, I'm back to a Type 95, possibly with company grade tassel. Which would align with a purchased or rented Type 95 due to shortage? Or an NCO recently graduated from officer training?
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Short Development History of Type 95 Gunto   Short Development History of Type 95 Gunto  

Short Development History of Type 95 Gunto  
    Attached Images Attached Images Short Development History of Type 95 Gunto 
    Last edited by Bruce Pennington; 05-10-2021 at 02:16 PM.

If you guys need to date that photo, I can tell from the insignia that it was taken between 14th Sept. 1940 and 12th Oct. 1943.

Page 32 of 35 FirstFirst ... 22 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 LastLast