Lakesidetrader - Top
Display your banner here
Page 33 of 35 FirstFirst ... 23 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 LastLast

Short Development History of Type 95 Gunto

Article about: I do not collect edged weapons, but used to regard ground blades on bayonets and sabers as mostly post war mutilation, at least from the point of view of a collector. But ever since getting

The sword in the post #319 is a standard type 98. The officer seems to be a Major. No way he'd use a NCO sword. And, the pommel is not the type used by Rinji. In fact the complete handle of the Rinji is differently shaped.

Lieutenant not a Major
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Short Development History of Type 95 Gunto  

You're right. He's a 2nd Lieutenant.

The sword is still a Type 98. In no way it's a NCO sword. I'll elaborate on that. The Lieutenant's sword is beautifully polished with Hamon. The NCO swords don't have Hamon.

?

Upon looking at the picture again, the kissaki [切先 blade tip] looks like that on a Type 98/100 and not a Type 95. The Type 95 has a shorter kissaki than a Type 98/100. The picture is not clear enough for me to make a statement in regards to the kabutogane [pommel] or sarute. As already pointed out, some Type 100s have a sarute. In my opinion the sword is a Type 100 because it has an iron tsuba [鐔 hand guard].

Sporter90, have you run across a Type 98 with an iron tsuba before?

Regardless of one's take on the sword, it is uncommon to see a wartime picture of a sword with an iron tsuba.

The standard Type 98 tsuba is not iron, but some officers installed their own iron tsuba. I've seen iron tsuba with the locking latch hole added. These iron tsuba are not full size large tsuba. They are smaller than the large iron tsuba on the katana. The officers were still in conformity with the regulations.

The handle of the "Rinji" is differently shaped. It's fatter at the base where near the tsuba. I believe that's called Higo 肥後 style .

?

A lot of the refitted older swords in the wood and leather "field saya" had antique iron tsuba, less common were the old iron tsuba pierced for the retaining clip... but they do exist!Short Development History of Type 95 GuntoShort Development History of Type 95 Gunto

?

Hello all,

I have fallen quite behind and I missed a few posts I would have responded to or provided pictures for. I had a catch up last night and made a few notes.

Post 225 - Regarding a Pattern 8 with serial numbers - Stegel

"The one other pattern 8 which had a tassel, also had a serial number on the blade which was in the very early Pattern 6 range, a true 'anomaly' if you like. After consideration, i believe this to be a field repair which involved a Tsuka replacement. This range of serial numbers contains the cross over from Pattern5 to Pattern6, pattern5 tsuka with steel scabbards."

Possible as is anything, but the mint condition blade suggest to me the sword has never been used (not to mention an absence of other stampings). There are probably better explanations, but I don't have one that springs to mind. I note that the ito is a slightly different shade to standard, but there have been a few variations recorded. The additional attached photo (I think one you own?) shows a couple more different shades.

Post 232 - Earliest example of leather knot

"The oldest record and drawing of the leather NCO sword-knot 刀緒 that I could find dates back to 1875 明治八年. This information was located in the 1875 uniform regulations 陸軍服制図. This sword knot was used on the two enlisted swords introduced that same year, one for those on foot and the other for those on horseback. So the design of this sword-knot goes back to the earliest enlisted/NCO swords used by the Japanese army."

I have that knot, Kiipu. It is from a Type 32, matches the picture exactly. It is quite brittle though and I unfortunately don't know how to stabalise it. I expect it will disintegrate within a few years.

Post 242 - The additional Jin stamp on 95s

"Are you referring to the "Jin" stamp? I have this picture, and don't exactly remember who I got it from. It's got the 仁 as a 4th stamp on a Tokyo 1st Arsenal 95. The second is on a Tokyo, Kokura 95."

I have seen a fair few of these. The three I have are the Suya (Kokura and Tokyo 1st) and Gifu. As posted by Bruce, there are also a couple of Iijima examples I am aware of from Ebay and the one Stegel owns.

Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Short Development History of Type 95 Gunto  

?

I have a question in regards to the "Contingency" Type 95 Military Sword. This is the sword that used an iron/steel ferrule and tsuba [crossguard]. One book says the ferrule and tsuba is made of iron while another book states it is made of steel. Does anyone know what the ferrule and tsuba is actually made of? Any and all opinions or facts welcomed.

?

Quote by Kiipu View Post
    One book says the ferrule and tsuba is made of iron while another book states it is made of steel.
    I asked a metallurgist and the crossguard [tsuba] is made of steel.

?

Ran across this unusual sword with an aluminium hilt that came from Malaya. Not sure if this was an attempt to locally manufacture a Type 95 or not.
    Bring Back With Provenance And Family Blade
    Last edited by Kiipu; 08-22-2021 at 06:55 PM.

Page 33 of 35 FirstFirst ... 23 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 LastLast