Great Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

Shussei Nobori - rectangular

Article about: A friend of mine has this Shussei Nobori for sale. Rather than the usual vertically hanging shape, this one is a bit different and is rectangular. There is something about it I am not sure a

Default Shussei Nobori - rectangular

A friend of mine has this Shussei Nobori for sale. Rather than the usual vertically hanging shape, this one is a bit different and is rectangular. There is something about it I am not sure about. Looks like the family name of the recipient is Murata, and the donor also starts with Murata.
    Cheers,
    Tony

Shussei Nobori - rectangularShussei Nobori - rectangularShussei Nobori - rectangular

Presented by the Murata Family Friendship Association, nothing wrong about that, though not many families have fan clubs like that.

Thanks Nick. Quite an intriguing association to have in the family!
    Cheers,
    Tony

It may have been that the Murata's were a landlord with many tenants, thus there could have been many wishing to stay on the good side of him, when Murata's son was drafted.

A week last Sunday, saw my dealer friend for the first time in a while at a fair. He still had this Shussei nobori, and, realising that it was the last thing Nick helped me with, I bought it.
    Having a further look at the kanji has me struggling (surprise, surprise!). Nick supplied the donor, the Murata Family Friendship Association. Murata Family I can get, 村田家, and association at the end (the obsolete form), 會. The 'friendship' bit I can't get. The characters look like 郁親, but I cannot find such a compound.
    Can't manage the 4 character given name at all (well, apart from the third character 兵).
    Cheers,
    Tony

Hi Tony,

I cannot find a kanji-compound for 郁親 either; I suppose that it is an amalgam of two words? Perhaps flourish/cultural progress + get-together.

Not the same, but: konshinkai:
    親会 【こんしんかい】 (n) social gathering; get-together; (friendly) meeting

I can get three of the four kanji for Tamura's given name:
    治兵衛
    〜jihei

Maybe
    典治兵衛
    Noriheiji

-- Guy

Thanks Guy. Noriheiji seems a reasonable possibility - the writer's style is tough! Maybe as a name for their association it doesn't have to be a proper word, but, as you suggest, an amalgam of the 2 characters meanings.
    Cheers,
    Tony