Steyer Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Shussei Nobori, and a tragic ending

Article about: Have had a fair crack at translating this shussei nobori banner as the kanji are fairly clear. Unlike some, it contains quite a bit of information. My attempt (corrections welcome): 祝入

Default Shussei Nobori, and a tragic ending

Have had a fair crack at translating this shussei nobori banner as the kanji are fairly clear. Unlike some, it contains quite a bit of information.

My attempt (corrections welcome):

祝入營北村孝君 (祝 is folded over)
    Shuku Nyuuei Kitamura Takashi Kun
    Celebration of enlistment of Mr Takashi Kitamura

姫路野砲兵 第十聨隊
    Himeji NoHooHei Dai Juu RenTai
    Himeji Field Artillery 10th Regiment

(贈???)大阪市 石田隆二
    (Zoo) Osaka Shi Ishida Ryuuji
    (Gift) from Ryuuji Ishida of Osaka City (is 贈 a place in Osaka, assuming that is the kanji)

Cheers,
    Tony

Shussei Nobori, and a tragic endingShussei Nobori, and a tragic endingShussei Nobori, and a tragic endingShussei Nobori, and a tragic ending

And this tragic banner came with it.

故陸軍少尉北村孝之靈
    Ko Rikugun Shooi Kitamura Takashi Rei
    The late army second lieutenant Takashi Kitamura's spirit
    (Takashi here is the 2 character version, the first being the one on the shussei nobori)

I got these 2 banners together here in Britain a few years ago, but I believe the seller got them together from Japan. They have been on my to-do list for a long time.

Would this banner have been displayed in a house (maybe after a temple service)? Or maybe just used in the service???

I am surprised it has survived, and been offered for sale in Japan.

Tony

(贈???) 。。。
    Yes, oku.ru/zō; gift/presented [to/from; depends on context]. In this case it is pronounced zō.

-- Guy

故陸軍少尉北村孝
    Ko Rikugun Shooi Kitamura Takashi no Rei

之 [no] is a possessive particle. Other forms are の and 乃 -- all pronounced "no". I think the differences in form are attributable to the flow of the brush:

之 > 乃 > の

You will also see 之 carved on seals using seal script / oracle bone script .... but that form looks like a saguaro cactus!!

And to confuse matters more ... 之 is also "kore" [this]; you see carved on sword tangs.

-- Guy
    Last edited by ghp95134; 03-15-2023 at 01:32 AM. Reason: grammar

Thanks Guy. I looked at the funeral banner first, guess it is a kind of coincidence that 孝之 and 孝 can both be Takashi, so I never went back and realised that 之 was being used as a possessive particle (even though I used a possessive in my translation!).

I guess it was a funeral banner for use at a temple service, doesn't seem like something to display at home.

As it refers to his spirit, I wonder if bereaved families would have such a service once it is certain that their son has perished far away overseas.

Tony

Hi Tony,

孝之 as Takashi -- some coincidence! I'm pretty certain that bereaved families would have a service; I wish Nick were still with us to verify these cultural things -- he could tell us for sure!

Cheers,
    -- Guy

Yes, indeed. I guess we have to be very thankful that Nick wrote up his research, and for his past assistance.
    Cheers,
    Tony

Resurrected seeking further input on the usage of the funeral banner.
    Regards,
    Tony

Used at the funeral service entry way. This practice is still done:

-- Guy

Since the banner includes the words “之霊”- “the spirit of ….” , it is not just a notice for the funeral but denotes the object of worship. In period photographs of funerals conducted by the units, you will often see a similar banner draped either over or under the urn containing the ashes of the deceased and I think it is possible that yours was also one of such which was returned to the bereaved together with his ashes. I will attach copies of photos of such uses, albeit in the Navy, of such banners.
    I don’t know about the funeral customs of older days, but I don’t seem to recall such banners in presence in the funerals I attended. (Not that it is something you pay attention to.)
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Shussei Nobori, and a tragic ending   Shussei Nobori, and a tragic ending  

Last edited by Akira Komiya; 03-20-2024 at 02:47 AM.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast