Griffin Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Small Size Army Helmet Used By Navy?

Article about: This is the second one of these I've seen. Both were small sized army shells with small size navy liners. One is early and has early army hardware. This one is early and has early navy hardw

The problem with that theory is to explain a 2-year gap, where the navy supposedly kept wearing army helmets unaltered in violation of their regulations.

The 4000 army helmets were released to the navy in Sept. 1937, complete with army liners. At the time, all navy helmets were painted grey until they switched to brown in June 1939.

Because it was an emergency situation in 1937, the NLF may have initially worn them unaltered in army brown, but it is not plausible that they were left like that for 2 years in violation of navy regulations. Like the navy-adopted 2nd hand army cherry blossom helmets, they would have eventually repainted them grey to conform with navy regulations and, if they swapped the liners to navy ones, it is unlikely they kept the army star, when proper navy anchors should have been in ready supply for repairs, as split pins are not suited for reuse.

The helmets would have been repainted brown in 1939, but if they were the army helmets issued in 1937, they would have spent a long time in navy grey.

Keeping the color and insignia untouched for 2 years and further tying this to small helmets makes it an unlikely combination of "ifs".

The same would have applied to large sizes, so however your imagination works, it makes no sense to tie it to small shell sizes, which was the question raised in the initial post.

?

Great period pic Scott!

I wish I could say I own it but it's copied.

Here is another early small size army fitted with a small size navy liner. This one is almost a carbon copy of my example. Extra long chinstraps, small size character is paint marked on liner band and shell, key ring hardware.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Small Size Army Helmet Used By Navy?   Small Size Army Helmet Used By Navy?  

Small Size Army Helmet Used By Navy?   Small Size Army Helmet Used By Navy?  

Last edited by Razorback76; 04-12-2023 at 02:28 AM.

Adachi has graciously let me use some of his period images on this thread. He states that all three of these pics came from a sailor in the Sasebo 3rd SNLF in 1937.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Small Size Army Helmet Used By Navy?   Small Size Army Helmet Used By Navy?  

Here is my example of a small army with a navy liner. This came out of an estate buy out on the Peninsula south of San Francisco and was then brought to a SF bay area flea market where I got it. I am not as vexed in Japanese helmets as others, but this example appears to have the flat navy pins, long chinstraps and rings described above. I have read through the topic and have considered the theories presented and posit that considering small size helmets are relatively uncommon; I could easily see these Army/Navy helmets simply coming from the shortages of war. I.e. making due with what one has. By extension I think it is likely these are of one large batch or from one depot and ponder what the manufacturer make up would be. But what do I know. Best ABN

Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Small Size Army Helmet Used By Navy?  

Quote by Airbornehunter View Post
    Here is my example of a small army with a navy liner. ...
    Named to

今枝
    Imaeda

-- Guy

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2